Little Quirks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Little Quirks

Post by Rseding91 »

GamingCrayon wrote:Car is an enemy entity marker on the minimap. I'm unsure if this is intended.
No they don't: http://i.imgur.com/5rEbICF.png
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

GamingCrayon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GamingCrayon »

Rseding91 wrote: No they don't: http://i.imgur.com/5rEbICF.png
It wasn't that way on my minimap. Check out the photo I included.

Fl_GUI
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fl_GUI »

Moving a window saves its location:
Maybe some of you know that you can move your inventory window (and maybe other windows, haven't checked) around the screen, but it doesn't save it's position after closing which makes this feature a little pointless.
Having your inventory open and to the side is really useful when you have to place many different items in one place and don't want to constantly swap them to your hotbar. When repeating the same process of placing the items somewhere else for example, having the window location saved would be a pleasant addition.
Last edited by Fl_GUI on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

GamingCrayon wrote:
This is simple: It looks quite similar on minimap.

If you think it is a bug then post it in bugs. Eventually provide a save.
This board is about suggestions.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Fl_GUI wrote:Moving a window saves its location:
Maybe some of you know that you can move your inventory window (and maybe other windows, haven't checked) around the screen, but it doesn't save it's position after closing which makes this feature a little pointless.
Having your inventory open and to the side is really useful when you have to place many different items in one place and don't want to constantly swap them to your hotbar. When repeating the same process of placing the items somewhere else for example, having the window location saved would be a pleasant addition.
On the other hand I prefer my windows to open centred but will occasionally move them to the side to keep view of something around my character, such as a train or belt, or I might be comparing my inventory to a setup I've got going. When I close and open my inventory I expect it to open centred again regardless.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

ssilk wrote:
GamingCrayon wrote:
This is simple: It looks quite similar on minimap.

If you think it is a bug then post it in bugs. Eventually provide a save.
This board is about suggestions.
The minimal is a scaled down version of the normal map - identical code is used to draw both after scaling is done. It's simply that scaling isn't perfect and you sometimes can't see the blue outline or the fact it was originally a triangle.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Pressing the close window button [X] immediately exits the game and does not ask "Are you are sure", even when if you would quit using the menu it will tell you you have not saved your progress.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

BenSeidel wrote:Pressing the close window button [X] immediately exits the game and does not ask "Are you are sure", even when if you would quit using the menu it will tell you you have not saved your progress.
Programs that ask "are you sure?" when I click the "X" button are one of the *most* annoying things about computers.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

HL65536 wrote: Robots are annoyingly stupid, improvements could be e.g. not trying to repair stuff that currently goes faster than the robots; factoring charging points into the flight route etc. And they should consider more than one job per tick as it gets annoyingly slow when there are >200 jobs.
Or you are driving around in a train at full speed and the robots pick up jobs on the way. Then they trail you, run out of power, 2 hours later they reach you, pick up some item and go 10000 miles back to where the jobs was. Again at a snails pace because it's so far.

Issue with charging points, which I think HL65536 ment: The robot knows where it is going, how much energy it has and how much it needs to reach the target. Don't go half the way only to see you are running out of energy, turn back, charge and try again.

Taking it one step further I would suggest robots remain always over a roboport region. Never corss a region without coverage. So if you have an U shaped region they go the long way instead of corssing the middle where all the aliens are to be shot down.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

train / train station positions are rounded differently

Post by mrvn »

On the minimap the train / train station positions are rounded differently than the tracks. When you move first the trains/train station move a pixel and a bit later the tracks move a pixel (and everything else on the minimap). This makes it seem like the trains / train stations are changing position relative to the track all the time back and forth as you move.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Rseding91 wrote:Programs that ask "are you sure?" when I click the "X" button are one of the *most* annoying things about computers.
Programs that don't ask "are you sure?" but instead lose your work are the most annoying things about computers, followed closely by applications that ask "are you sure?" when they receive a system shutdown message (as opposed to a window close message) and prevent your computer from shutting down. Asking if a user is sure is just good practice. God knows how many papers or schematics I would have lost because I "forgot to save". I bet you that most people RELY on the save dialogue box to save their changes as opposed to the explicit save button/menu item.

This is especially true in an application that has a full screen research menu, closely resembling the standard MDI/dialogue box, so that when you go to click the [X] (because you have been doing this for decades) to close the research menu, you exit your application.

If you guys don't like the [X], then disable it, otherwise please stick to industry standards.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

BenSeidel wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Programs that ask "are you sure?" when I click the "X" button are one of the *most* annoying things about computers.
Programs that don't ask "are you sure?" but instead lose your work are the most annoying things about computers, followed closely by applications that ask "are you sure?" when they receive a system shutdown message (as opposed to a window close message) and prevent your computer from shutting down. Asking if a user is sure is just good practice. God knows how many papers or schematics I would have lost because I "forgot to save". I bet you that most people RELY on the save dialogue box to save their changes as opposed to the explicit save button/menu item.

This is especially true in an application that has a full screen research menu, closely resembling the standard MDI/dialogue box, so that when you go to click the [X] (because you have been doing this for decades) to close the research menu, you exit your application.

If you guys don't like the [X], then disable it, otherwise please stick to industry standards.
Not one GUI in the game closes with an X button so if your natural reaction is to click the X button then I don't understand people.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Rseding91 wrote:Not one GUI in the game closes with an X button so if your natural reaction is to click the X button then I don't understand people.
Ever had the issue where you turn your windscreen wipers on when you to to make a turn because you're driving in a foreign car (European vs Australian/Japanese)?

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

When copy/pasting on assemblers, it should also copy/paste the orientation of any fluid inputs.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

IV 
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IV  »

Remapping the zoom in/out buttons changes the way you zoom in the normal view and on the map, but not in the train preview. You always need to use mouse scroll in the train preview window, independent of your settings. I think this is inconsistent.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

IV  wrote:Remapping the zoom in/out buttons changes the way you zoom in the normal view and on the map, but not in the train preview. You always need to use mouse scroll in the train preview window, independent of your settings. I think this is inconsistent.
It's a known issue: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=30056
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Roblin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Roblin »

this thread I made is regarding an issue that probably belongs here, sorry, I did a search to see if anyone had made a similar thread and when I noticed that noone had I just made a thread without checking for these types of "collect your small stuff" threads
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37785

tl:dr
deconstruction orders for trees can time out before roboport area has spread there, when the roboport area eventually spreads there construction bots try to build stuff but just hover in the air indefinitely because there are trees in the way that will never be removed.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

No need to make that twice. :/
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Roblin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Roblin »

tech labs should be able to be hooked up to circuit networks and allow you to do 2 things:

read:
what technologies are researched, which technology is being researched, what science packs are required to research it and the current progress on the current technology.

set:
which technology is being/to be researched.

Grossen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grossen »

Vehicles snap to angle:

Don't know if this is requires a thread of if t can be considered a quirk but i find it very annoying when driving on roads and i have to continuously adjust my direction because i either hit trees or step on the railway, especially when using a fast moving vehicle.

I suggest the car would automatically snap to the grid (0, 45, 90 degrees) in case of small angles or have a button for doing that. Also it would be cool if vehicle speed would be affected by terrain.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”