New Locomotives and Wagons, More Trains.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

New Locomotives and Wagons, More Trains.

Post by bobingabout »

Diesel Locomotive, that burns wood/coal/fuel blocks... it just feels wrong.

I havn't read this myself, but was told that the reason a Diesel Locomotive runs on coal is because it would be too difficult to get going for the level it was intended for, so was made easier by just burning fuels instead.

So... Add more trains!

Start with a steam locomotive, water shouldn't be too hard to get into an engine, probably a special train fueling port that pumps a liquid into a train next to it would be sufficient, IF you even want to be accurate enough to supply it with water at all, otherwise keep the functionality the same as the existing locomotive.

At later stages, a fuel-oil, Diesel could be pumped into the engine the same way the water is in the previous example, without requiring a solid combustable fuel to burn.

And perhaps even an Electric train, which would require advanced electrified rails to use, requiring no fuel at all, but a link to your power grid.

There has to be some bonus to upgrade a train from steam to diesel, or electric though, EG, more powerful, faster etc.

Also, being able to "Multi-head" engines would be a good idea too, adds more power to add more speed, or be able to pull more carriages with less of a speed penalty.

On top of trains, also cargo carriages, Why can a car fit SOOO much cargo in the boot(trunk), far exceeding a steel chest, yet a train carriage only has the space of a wooden chest, this might not be much of a problem in most situations, but an oil barrel train for example, where barrels only stack to 8, it doesn't carry much at all...

So, Extra carriages, mk2 with the capacity of an iron chest, mk3 with the capacity of a steel chest, and perhaps even a mk4 with the capacity of a car would be useful for carrying large quantities of resources far.

What do you think?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: More Trains.

Post by Drury »

Steam trains don't fit the theme.

Electric trains have been suggested already, possibly multiple times.

Double-heading already works.

Cargo capacity has already been discussed.

Elfface
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elfface »

A diesel train is probably the wrong word for it though. My first time, I didn't try building them for ages, since I assumed I'd need to refine oil to be able to fuel them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Drury wrote:Steam trains don't fit the theme.
You say that, but we already have steam engines in the game to produce electricity. the only real difference between a steam engine there, and a steam locomotive is that instead of using the power to produce electricity, you're using the power to produce forward motion.

It doesn't have to look like what we think of when we hear steam train, but, that's effectively what the existing train is, it burns fuel to move, very different from internal combustion from patrolium or diesel fuels.
I also have a Patreon.

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by andzoak »

I like the idea of three types of trains.

Yes, we already use steam locomotive. There should be a need to add water to keep engine working.

Disel locomotive is very good idea too. It can be filled with pumps or use oil barrels ;)

And electirc locomotive with some accumulators recharged on trains stations...

Maybe some type of maglev in the endgame too :>

khh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by khh »

"Diesel train" doesn't fit the functionality.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

khh wrote:
"Diesel train" doesn't fit the functionality.
Exactly.

and if you have a pump to fill a vehicle, you can use the same thing to pipe in water for a steam engine, diesel for a diesel engine, or oil, or other liquids to a cargo tanker (as an alternative to barreling up the oil, transporting it, and then emptying the barrels.) which also opens up options for transporting other liquids, like Sulfuric Acid, or Lubricant, though you might need a different pump to remove liquid from a vehicle than to pump liquid in.
I also have a Patreon.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Suggestion: New Locomotives and Wagons

Post by Shaymes »

Joined, because very similar. --ssilk

--------/-

my english is not the best and i hope you will understand what i mean;

we all love locomotives and here are my suggestions for new types of locomotives :)

Locomotives:
Solar Locomotive - no fuel, less max speed, need daylight to move
Accumulator Locomotive - need to recharge by power network maybe limited range and slowest train

Wagons:
Accumulator Wagon - inject power to energy based locomotives / wagons, need to recharge by power network
Roboport Wagon - like the robots that leaves the train in the trailer, to expand robotnetwork to far distances, maybe 6-8 recharge ports for bots and can only carry maybe 10 robots
Active / Passive Provider Wagon, Storage Wagon, Requester Wagon - for Robotnetwork
Smart Wagon - maybe connect the singal cable to the train station object

thx for reading
redgards Shaymes
Mining Drill Operator

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Re: New Locomotives and Wagons, More Trains.

Post by krux02 »

I don't need a solar powered wagon, but I like the idea of electric wagons, so that I can use (external) solar energy. There is so much more you can do with wagon's.

My suggestion: Artillery wagon. Something like Schwerer Gustav.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”