Show map RAM use in server browser

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Show map RAM use in server browser

Post by henke37 »

Some maps can grow huge. As such, it would be nice to have a warning in the server browser for maps that are too large for your computer.

It doesn't help to be 64 bit when I still only have 4 GB of ram and can't take on maps larger than that. And that is the theoretical limit. With all the various stuff other than Factorio running (yes, I do know how to close programs), the effective limit is far bellow that.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Show map RAM use in server browser

Post by ssilk »

Good idea. Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=32968 Collection of Of Ideas around Multiplayer: Lobby-Features, Joining, Mod&Game-Loading, ...

In general it is right to have such a limit. But in practical use-case I think it depends. I have played a 12 GiB map on 8 GiB: The only problem is the time it needs to load the map, because it needs swap the unused parts of the Factory out. After that it had the same speed as with more RAM (only the save tooks also remarkable longer). Because of that experience I would mean, that only some memory needs to be in fast RAM (those chunks, that always change). But that is of course really difficult to say.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”