Run dialogs locally

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Run dialogs locally

Post by henke37 »

Multiplayer depends on prediction to let players see their own actions instantly instead of waiting for their actions to bounce between the client and the server.

The game predicts which dialogs the player has open on the screen. However, with bad latency there can be mispredictions of the dialogs resulting in windows opening and closing seemingly at random.

As such, I wonder, why does it even matter to the server what dialogs the client happen to have open? Just let the dialog run entirely on the client and validate the commands the dialog issues instead.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Run dialogs locally

Post by Rseding91 »

A lot of the time the dialog requires information about the game state that isn't available yet due to the other actions not being applied. But, a lot of the dialogs do run locally. That's why you can hit "e" and it opens without having to wait for the round-trip time.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by henke37 »

Yes, it does open instantly. But then it closes again before finally opening a second time. It's wonky.

You claim that the dialogs use game state that isn't available "yet". Why not just predict that instead? Or even just go with slightly stale data. State rarely changes for the worse in dialogs.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That prediction is eventually difficult here, cause if another player changes that at the same time, your change can be overridden and you don't see that, cause you have already closed the requester...
Prediction is good for things like player-action.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

henke37 wrote:Yes, it does open instantly. But then it closes again before finally opening a second time. It's wonky.

You claim that the dialogs use game state that isn't available "yet". Why not just predict that instead? Or even just go with slightly stale data. State rarely changes for the worse in dialogs.
No idea what you're talking about. It has never done that for me or anyone else I've watched play Multiplayer. Are you sure you're not pressing it twice?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”