Transport Belt Engine

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Sasuga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Transport Belt Engine

Post by Sasuga »

Right now Transporter Belts work on magic, and I know everyone is used to it, but I think its odd. I feel transporter belts should have an engine that gives them the power to move. It could require coal, electricity, etc. I know, I know, people are used to them as they are now, but I just think... Well, having one more thing to power and one that makes sense to... Adds a little more challenge, especially to the early game. Only a tiny bit more, sure, but the whole game is things of a challenges that are just a tiny bit more.

A steam powered convoy to start, then an electric... They would be a single block.

Coal Powered Transporter Belt Driver: 2x2 block, with a conveyor part that's 2x1, the other half is graphical engine for putting coal into.

Electric Powered Transporter Belt Driver: 1x1 block, electric powered.

Steam powered Transporter Belt Driver: a 1x1 or 2x1 piece that can attach to a boiler just like a steam engine, or attach to the end of a steam engine, and drives the conveyor.

To make things another step more interesting, their could be a maximum length limit to the conveyor that the belt-drivers can support, they may even become slower after a certain length.

YES, this would make the game more difficult. YES, everyone is used to how they are now. YES, this is a 'nerf.' But... this whole game is about puzzle & problem solving, and I think this adds a new layer to that.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Transport Belt Engine

Post by aubergine18 »

This would be cool in the very early game, however it would quickly become tedious if all belts had to be specifically actuated by attaching some device to them; it would start to get in the way of gameplay.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The only change I ever thought to belts to make them powered that I could accept is to make Red and Blue belts use small amounts of power. 1kw, and 5Kw. Leave the yellow ones alone because bootstrap, but you can make the faster ones cost power. Anything more adds frustrating complications, and gah.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sasuga wrote:Right now Transporter Belts work on magic, and I know everyone is used to it, but I think its odd. I feel transporter belts should have an engine that gives them the power to move. It could require coal, electricity, etc. I know, I know, people are used to them as they are now, but I just think... Well, having one more thing to power and one that makes sense to... Adds a little more challenge, especially to the early game. Only a tiny bit more, sure, but the whole game is things of a challenges that are just a tiny bit more.
We had that already 4 or 5 times. It looks obvious to do so. But the result of the discussions is (looking for thread tomorrow) that
- that you don't get much more gamplay
- increase the complexity a lot
- can create frustrating game locks (no power to drive the coal)

The most forum members think, that it would be a useful enhancement.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

The most?

Was there a poll - I don't think so.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

steinio wrote:The most?

Was there a poll - I don't think so.
Sorry, I posted that from iPhone, not ideally for doing complicated stuff. So here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21921 Poll: Should belts use energy (and Offshore Pumps etc...)
I will not count numbers (this is not a democracy, but a "tendency" :) ), but for me the result is clear: Most forum members won't like that as a pure replacement. The interesting question is the last, which was added later and has about the same polls as the pure "no".

The discussion ends with some ideas about later game implementations. ;)

In my opinion this thread with that information is a bit obsolete. Sorry. If someone has an idea he might post his ideas into the linked one, cause I will move it now to frequently suggested stuff. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”