Recycle burner inserters/miners in smelters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Recycle burner inserters/miners in smelters

Post by vanatteveldt »

There have been some earlier suggestions about adding a recycling/garbage/landfill building, but I guess they've been discarded as adding too much complexity (new building, new recipes) without offering a really clear benefit (most items are upgradable or consumable).

From the top of my head, the only buildings / non-consumable items that are no longer useful in the end-game are wooden items (poles, chests) that can be burned as fuel, and burner inserters and miners.

I suggest adding these buildings as possible raw materials in smelters, yielding 1 iron each just like iron ore. Optionally, the steel furnace can be recycled similarly to yield 1 steel.

This is a very easy change that imho fits into the factorio philosophy and the current design decision that wooden items can be burned, and solves the annoying fact that you end up with a bunch of items you can't really get rid of except by shooting a container that contains the items.

(edit: I figured out it's pretty easy to add this in a mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/vanatteveldt/recycling (my first mod! :)). Is there a way to hide the recipes from the crafting menu?)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Recycle burner inserters/miners in smelters

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21278 Recycling/Disassembling of Waste / Scrap / Trash
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I guess my post is ready for recycling ;-)

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

vanatteveldt wrote:Is there a way to hide the recipes from the crafting menu?
I've not tested, but try adding one of the following to your recipe definition:

Code: Select all

hidden = true
-- or...
flags = { 'hidden' }
If either of those works, please let me know :)
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Code: Select all

hidden="true"
That works, thanks!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

vanatteveldt wrote:I guess my post is ready for recycling ;-)
No, from my point of view it shows the devs, that they need to do something. Even if the use-case is quite limited and has not much game-value, cause it is an always repeating suggestion.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

ssilk wrote:
No, from my point of view it shows the devs, that they need to do something. Even if the use-case is quite limited and has not much game-value, cause it is an always repeating suggestion.
I know, I was just joking :). But when I saw the long list of 'recycle' suggestions it felt a bit like /dev/null. Anyway, at least now I learned how to make My First Little Mod :)

walljaik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by walljaik »

ssilk wrote:
for me has quite game value, if u had limited resources. Also avoids you to create a chest and destroy it with no more useful items to no waste storage space.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

walljaik wrote: for me has quite game value, if u had limited resources. Also avoids you to create a chest and destroy it with no more useful items to no waste storage space.
Much though I would like to agree with you, I don't think it really adds up. How many burner miner / inserters are you going to have? I don't think I've ever had more than 10-20 in total. 10-20 iron plates just aren't going to make a real difference... Picks, pistols, and the like are unique items, so also don't count. Maybe if you smelt steel furnaces and would get all the steel back it would help, but even then I think a "refit" action (i.e. steel furnace + circuits + steel -> electric furnace,burner inserter + circuit -> inserter) would be more useful.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”