Underground Belt Upgrade Techs mentioned on Stream night

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Underground Belt Upgrade Techs mentioned on Stream night

Post by Peppe »

When you do go to implement extending underground belts please make it in multiples of +6. As long as it is a multiple of 6 you can take any place you currently run back to back underground belts and have a drop in upgrade to span the entire distance.

Common use is main bus traversal:
Mod Implementation Comparison
The mod that gets it right:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Schmendrick/longer-belts

It bases the underground distance on belt speed. Fairly interesting implementation in his code to calculate the distance and support mod belts.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Underground Belt Upgrade Techs mentioned on Stream night

Post by ssilk »

I still have problems to see the matching output with that far distances.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

When listed like that, it makes sense to go in steps of +6
But from the coder perspective... the game lists the distance as 5, not 6. So in my mod they're listed as 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. if you go +6 it becomes 5, 11, 17, 23, 29... it just doesn't make much sense by looking at the numbers alone.

Similarly, underground pipes have a base distance of 10, meaning the 2 ends are actually 11 tiles apart, same as my fast underground belts. Should pipes also be changed to match this pattern?

If it wasn't going to break everyone's layouts, I'd probably change the bonuses on underground belts to +3 instead of +5, or the suggested +6. it would give express underground belts the same distance as 2 standards.... the numbers would then go 5, 8, 11, 14, 17... still doesn't make too much sense in numbers though.

but separate from those complaints of breaking everyone's layouts, I'd also get complaints that I've nerfed the max underground range...

You know what, that's what config files are for, maybe I should add those options.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Peppe »

bobingabout wrote:When listed like that, it makes sense to go in steps of +6
But from the coder perspective... the game lists the distance as 5, not 6. So in my mod they're listed as 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. if you go +6 it becomes 5, 11, 17, 23, 29... it just doesn't make much sense by looking at the numbers alone.

Similarly, underground pipes have a base distance of 10, meaning the 2 ends are actually 11 tiles apart, same as my fast underground belts. Should pipes also be changed to match this pattern?

If it wasn't going to break everyone's layouts, I'd probably change the bonuses on underground belts to +3 instead of +5, or the suggested +6. it would give express underground belts the same distance as 2 standards.... the numbers would then go 5, 8, 11, 14, 17... still doesn't make too much sense in numbers though.

but separate from those complaints of breaking everyone's layouts, I'd also get complaints that I've nerfed the max underground range...

You know what, that's what config files are for, maybe I should add those options.
Yeah +3 per tier wouldn't be bad...no one uses red belt anyway :p

never pulled up the lua to see the exact numbers, so I see how you would just extend it by doubling the value. I guess it is like zero index value when most lua uses one to start an index.

I don't think I've ever mixed pipes much in a game or gone back and upgraded any -- as with the fluid flow you might not be upgrading depending on the pipe sizes. Usually use a pipe I have in bulk at the time for underground runs and then stick to it everywhere unless a specific spot needs optimized flow. Pipe runs generally are custom to a build where belt run is kinda standard pattern repeated base wide and extended to each build area. we tend to scale everything off off what yellow supports and then upgraded later.

That common upgrade path for belt is where I think the underground scaling should align. But I am just one guy that likes things to fit together in a totally non ocd way I promise.

Terukio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Terukio »

I think the belts should upgrade in the following way:

+1 +1 +2 +3 +5 +8 +13 +21 ...

Much more sensible :P

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”