Signal "each" for filter inserters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Signal "each" for filter inserters

Post by mrvn »

I have a chest that contains straight and round pipes. I want there to be 100 of each in the chest and if it is less a filter inserter is to put in some more.

I can set up a filter inserter to pick up straight pipes, wire it to the box and enable it when straight pipes < 100. But when I add round pipes and set the inserter to anything < 100 or everything < 100 it will pick up both kinds of pipes indiscriminately till there areat least 100 of each or 100 total respectively.

I'm missng an option to set the filter inserter to a condition of each < 100 and have it only pick up those items in its filter list where the condition is true.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Signal "each" for filter inserters

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I sort of don't mind this because it adds to the logistical challenge of the game.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

mrvn wrote:I have a chest that contains straight and round pipes. I want there to be 100 of each in the chest and if it is less a filter inserter is to put in some more.

I can set up a filter inserter to pick up straight pipes, wire it to the box and enable it when straight pipes < 100. But when I add round pipes and set the inserter to anything < 100 or everything < 100 it will pick up both kinds of pipes indiscriminately till there areat least 100 of each or 100 total respectively.

I'm missng an option to set the filter inserter to a condition of each < 100 and have it only pick up those items in its filter list where the condition is true.
Just add some combinators and im pretty sure u will get it working..

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

He means have one Filter Inserter configured for say iron plates and copper plates, linked to a chest and say [Each] < 100. If copper plates fall below 100, it will insert copper plates, and if iron plates fall below 100 it will insert iron plates. However, as inserter circuitry is enable/disable only, you could fall below 100 copper plates and it will start inserting iron plates.

Only way around this problem is by adding inserters whichever way you look at it (well, you could do it with belts alone but it's the same premise).

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:He means have one Filter Inserter configured for say iron plates and copper plates, linked to a chest and say [Each] < 100. If copper plates fall below 100, it will insert copper plates, and if iron plates fall below 100 it will insert iron plates. However, as inserter circuitry is enable/disable only, you could fall below 100 copper plates and it will start inserting iron plates.

Only way around this problem is by adding inserters whichever way you look at it (well, you could do it with belts alone but it's the same premise).
I understand, but you can use "set filter" thing for an inserter. So plug decider combinator with output 1 of resource if resource<100 input to chest and output of it filter inserter, this will set filter for an item if its <100 and this will work.

Or use constant combinator (with negative values of needed thresold), if you need multiple items, connected to decider combinator and chest, set negative values of needed threshold in constant combinator, set input each < 0 output 1 each, it will set filters when its below thresold and thus make inserter work on needed item.

So say i place -100 of copper plate and -200 of iron plate in my constant combinator, and there is 80 of copper and 100 of iron in chests. The input of the decider will be -20 copper, -100 iron, it will output 1 iron, 1 copper setting filter to work on both of them, once its filled 100 copper it will output 1 iron. It will work only on iron, once iron is filled it will output nothing setting filter to nothing and it stop working.

Maybe there is simplier way, im pretty sure combinator masters can provide you even with better methods.
The problem is that combinator is 2x1 size (+1x1 if you need more than 1 item) space wise its not the best.

Sorry for bad english
Last edited by afk2minute on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

afk2minute wrote:So plug decider combinator with output 1 of resource if resource<100 input to chest and output of it filter inserter, this will set filter for an item if its <100 and this will work.
Am I missing a hidden feature here? If you send a signal of an item with count 1 to a filter inserter it will start moving that item? Can anyone confirm this?

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:
afk2minute wrote:So plug decider combinator with output 1 of resource if resource<100 input to chest and output of it filter inserter, this will set filter for an item if its <100 and this will work.
Am I missing a hidden feature here? If you send a signal of an item with count 1 to a filter inserter it will start moving that item? Can anyone confirm this?
Connect wire to filter inserter, open its interface and change mode of operation to "set filter". Signals that you give it will set its filters.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Coooool... I haven't yet had much use for filter inserters so I didn't know of this =D

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

That's (set filter) what I was missing. Thanks. Consider this feature implemented (by additional combinators but that's the spirit of the game).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”