Nuclear Multiblock

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Saccharin493
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Nuclear Multiblock

Post by Saccharin493 »

Maybe use the factorissomo mod as the basis for reactor mechanics, and gave the reactor as a multiblock structure?

Having the ability to enter the reactor and having to individually build the system and mini factory that moves inserted fuels into reaction chambers and managing the thermal controls, eg; having cooling towers in there. building the pipelines from which hot steam moves and having to develop and build the waste removal system. if a reactor overheats the whole reactor factory building blows up.
Last edited by Saccharin493 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Nuclear Multiblock

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Hmmmm... I think this is no suggestion, cause it lacks the details.
What multiblocks? Which mechanic?
The only thing it suggest is to put factroissimo into vanilla, which is (comparable) suggestested since 2013. :)
Give us more flesh please. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

I actually like the idea, have the nuclear plant mutiple blocks you can place on the world surface, but 1 or 2 which can be accessed factorissimo like and where you have to build the generators and steamconverter/fluid handling and which can only be build inside the building cause of ...insert excuse....
That would make it kind of a mini-puzzle because of the space restriction you have there.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The problem with Factorissimo (and similar ideas of factories in factories) is, that there is no limitation. It implements some kind of arbitrariness into Factorio. Factorio makes really a hard work by implementing arbitrariness. But they have "natural" limits. For example belts: you can make belts as long as you want, but you are limited by the size of the map. Bad example. Trains: You can have unlimited number of trains, but in the end they are limited by the size of you rail-network.

Not that I'm against Factorissimo or don't like it. It is a very, very cool proof of concept! :)

But not more. A Factorio - with Factorissimo implemented as it is - will loose a lot of it's fascination, cause you can just say "Oh, I don't have enough space for circuits". BAMM, put green circuits production inside.
Where is the game?
For a player-vs-player this is some kind of solution (some kind of standardized production facilities...) a possible way to play that kind of stuff. But that is far into future. Not for the game as it is.

So I repeat: What are the details of this suggestion? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Woodmn »

Here is an idea to limit this a little and possibly make it more realistic.

Lets pretend that a new 'factorissimo' like building was added (for sake of argument, reactor casing). Inside this building only specialized machinery can be placed (reactor parts, fuel refining, shielded belts (stops radiation leakage from carried fuel/waste), etc, {however the same machinery can be placed outside the building but it will a) produce LOADS of pollution (more than steam power), b) have some sort of radiation poisoning debuff when you are near}). Excluding other reactor casings (however casings placed next to each other in the over world could link in some way) and most 'standard' machines and parts that are not explicitly for nuclear material processing. While the machinery would still produce lots of pollution and emit radiation effects, the radiation would be limited to within the building and the majority of the pollution would not be able to escape. Essentially limiting reactor casings to being part of the nuclear power production line and forcing players that cannot afford the mega polution production to limit their power production to within the building itself.

TL:DR/I didnt understand: A highly specialized factorissimo-like building to is required for the safe operation of nuclear power minus the ridiculous pollution (unrealistic but its the best idea I have to balance it without a whole new radiation mechanic similar to pollution).
Why are you reading this?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”