Visual Indicator for Pollution

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

saykhia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Visual Indicator for Pollution

Post by saykhia »

What do you think about a more visual indicator for pollution?

What comes to mind is the ground slowly getting "corrupted" and trees dying, proportional to the red pollution cloud in the minimap.

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Visual Indicator for Pollution

Post by slay_mithos »

I would personally hate that, given that most machine produce pollution, and trees are the only thing that can slow/stop pollution spread.

It would mean that your whole factory would become corrupted, without any mean to really stop it, even with modules to reduce pollution, and your only way of containing pollution would slowly die too, removing any real way of influencing pollution spreading.

I don't know, maybe I am just misunderstanding the idea.

saykhia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by saykhia »

slay_mithos wrote:I would personally hate that, given that most machine produce pollution, and trees are the only thing that can slow/stop pollution spread.

It would mean that your whole factory would become corrupted, without any mean to really stop it, even with modules to reduce pollution, and your only way of containing pollution would slowly die too, removing any real way of influencing pollution spreading.

I don't know, maybe I am just misunderstanding the idea.
What I had in mind was purely a visual thing. Green trees turning into dead trees, ground turning from green grass to black and cracked, etc. Nothing to do with factories actually breaking down.

Visually indicating my actions slowly killing a planet!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

saykhia wrote:What do you think about a more visual indicator for pollution?
This is in the TODO-list for one of the next versions.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Teurlinx »

Wait, but if trees consume pollution (assumably CO2) then shouldn't they thrive in heavily polluted areas?

On the other hand, it would be an extremely convenient way to get rid of trees :mrgreen:

Jobeo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jobeo »

I was thinking it would be interesting to have a numeric display of current pollution emissions. So you could see how it goes up or down based on changes you make.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Dont forget that current pollution is generic term, it doesnt mean just CO2 emissions.

Jobeo wrote:I was thinking it would be interesting to have a numeric display of current pollution emissions. So you could see how it goes up or down based on changes you make.
Want values? press F5

Want less values? press F4 and choose what you need.

diegokilla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by diegokilla »

I think more visual indications for pollution is a great idea. Personally, I think pollution is one of the game's strongest points. Not only does it dynamically alter the games difficulty based on your progress in the game, but it is also a great way to teach any youngster the game may get about the consequences of industrialization. The first time that I couldn't see my factory due to boiler/steam turbine plumes was surreal. Later realizing that the plumes increased and decreased proportionally to performance was a complete mind blow for me. At any rate, the pollution system currently is great, but could use some work. I would love to see it fully fleshed out where pollution was divided into 3 major categories: Land,Air,and Water. What would be icing on the cake would be if the environment, biters included responded differently to the different types of pollution. (I think going into the chemical composition would be a bit much)

nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nepp95 »

Garm wrote:Dont forget that current pollution is generic term, it doesnt mean just CO2 emissions.

Jobeo wrote:I was thinking it would be interesting to have a numeric display of current pollution emissions. So you could see how it goes up or down based on changes you make.
Want values? press F5

Want less values? press F4 and choose what you need.
I don't see anything related to pullution at those details?

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”