Save file size: Use 7zip instead of zip

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DjTeo
Inserter
Inserter

Save file size: Use 7zip instead of zip

Post by DjTeo »

I wont suggest to use 7zip that will take time to zip-unzip, just use zip with high compression even 1-2 mb smaller size than a 11mb zip file its better, cause I dont have good Connection for upload, but my PC its high-end enough. Best will be to have option for that or a 7zip compression in the sending file in Multiplayer, so the 11mb file will be 7.6mb :D
Last edited by ssilk on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic to fit subject better

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Save file size: Use 7zip instead of zip

Post by Zaflis »

With my quick test at least 18mb zip was reduced to 13mb. But packing that 7zip took 20 seconds, whereas zip just 1.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, and in the case where your zip compression only took 1 second, what happens if you set the compression ratio to maximum? The default is somewhere in the middle, if 7Zip took linger, then the better compression might simply just be down to the default being maximum compression, unlike zip.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Some more tests with different compressions:
7-zip normal took 19 seconds with 9.9mb, and fastest 3 seconds for 15mb.
Zip normal took 5 seconds for 15mb, and fastest 1 second for 16mb.
Factorio had it 18mb zip (i uncompressed the contents for the test, not compressing a compressed file again).

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

frankly a domain-specific compression format would be better, it would allow the devs to eliminate redundant information they know is redundant instead of having the general compression library discover it on each save.

I'm pretty sure a 50% reduction over the 10mb is possible.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

IMHO - to be it worth to think about it - the reduction should be much more than 50%. It's not worth discussing if we spare 5 MB, when normal harddisks have 1.000.000 MB. Let's say only 50% of such a disk is used, then the saving of 5 MB is equivalent to 0.01 Promille.
So much more important (currently) is the saving of time. But that can also not be compared, cause under normal circumstances the compression is handled in a second thread, the limiting factor currently is the RAM- and CPU-speed, which is needed to copy and serialize the world. The CPU which makes compression will be bored, cause of that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:IMHO - to be it worth to think about it - the reduction should be much more than 50%. It's not worth discussing if we spare 5 MB, when normal harddisks have 1.000.000 MB. Let's say only 50% of such a disk is used, then the saving of 5 MB is equivalent to 0.01 Promille.
So much more important (currently) is the saving of time. But that can also not be compared, cause under normal circumstances the compression is handled in a second thread, the limiting factor currently is the RAM- and CPU-speed, which is needed to copy and serialize the world. The CPU which makes compression will be bored, cause of that.
Well it's still helpful for multiplayer map transfers though.

DjTeo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DjTeo »

ssilk wrote:IMHO - to be it worth to think about it - the reduction should be much more than 50%. It's not worth discussing if we spare 5 MB, when normal harddisks have 1.000.000 MB. Let's say only 50% of such a disk is used, then the saving of 5 MB is equivalent to 0.01 Promille.
My problem is the slow transfer rate, not how much of my Hard drive it takes. Just use high compression at the file (savegame) it sends to clients not the autosaves. Or have it as option beacause some server has fast connection but not so fast cpu.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”