container

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

container

Post by Shaymes »

maybe some 3x3 stoage chests (steel/avtive/passive/storage) like this
that can handle multible belts with inserters so a normal chest is 1x1 so there are 4 sides a 3x3 container will have 12 positions ofr inserter
ok a 2x3 will work too but then we need rotatable chests
i think a container will match with facotrio style instead a warehouse
Last edited by ssilk on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title, cause this is not a 0.13-only suggestion
Mining Drill Operator

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: container

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=23008 Warehouse / Depot / Storage / Stock (and related)

But there are already mods, that do exactly that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

ssilk wrote:But there are already mods, that do exactly that.
But chests with a large number of stacks cause lag, and dev won't optimize it because it's not needed for the default game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe that's the reason, why it's not in Vanilla? Do you have good reasons, why this is needed now, when we have the Stack Inserter? Cause I don't see them. :)

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

There are many quite large objects like refinereries, cars, trains, turrets and so on in the game, which could be produced in parts (like modern 3D-printers would do) instead of being assembled in one piece in an assembler, then transported to a train or car in this containerchest and in the end parts are put together somewhere at a construction side by hand or robots after placing a ghost (blueprint), which requires some construction time. This container could also require more space in a waggon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That is a change to the OP.

It reminds me more to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7475 Large and Heavy items

Which is part of this: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=30589 Factory Streets / Star Wars like robot factories / Frame Mounting / Modular Production

Do you mean that?

PS: I would like that to be implemented, too, cause it changes the gameplay radically to extreme mass-production and need for new transport systems.

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

ssilk wrote:That is a change to the OP.
Yes, but it' doesn't necessarily need to be a container, it could be something else like for example an europalette.
I don't really like the idea to produce something big in one piece which is larger than the assembler itself, so it would be more logic to produce for example a car in small parts in an assembler which are then put on a palette and put together by hand somewhere else.
Turrets are not that large, but if you produce them in small parts and need to lay down a ghostturret somewhere and put parts together by consuming some construction time, that could make turret creeping more difficult.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

You can use railcars as chests you know. Each one allows in the neighborhood of 12-14 inserters to service it at the same time. With the stack inserters, you could get some downright incredible buffering capacity this way.

I prefer though to just use parallel inserter box inserter arrangements, with the circuit network acting to make the boxes fill uniformly.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

driver wrote:Yes, but it' doesn't necessarily need to be a container, it could be something else like for example an europalette.
I don't really like the idea to produce something big in one piece which is larger than the assembler itself, so it would be more logic to produce for example a car in small parts in an assembler which are then put on a palette and put together by hand somewhere else.
Hm. Factorio is about automation. Not doing things by hand.

Example: There are ideas that suggest to have some kind of train-depot. Put locomotive- and wagon-items in, ready mounted train (with schedule etc.) comes out.

Other example: I can put up to 150 locomotives into a wagon. :) The game plays around with some astonishing hyper-compression techniques. I don't see a problem with that.

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

Yes, I do use railcars for storage quite often.
I like the idea of a train depot.
If all structures are produced in one piece in an assembler, construction robots are practically useless (apart from repairing destroyed things, which can get quite important or unless you build a megabase and copy parts of your factory, which I never do.)
There have been games like caesar3 or industry giant 2 which use storage in a similar way like euro-pallets, it's visually more helpful then hiding things in a small chest.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Goes a bit off-topic:
driver wrote:There have been games like caesar3 or industry giant 2 which use storage in a similar way like euro-pallets, it's visually more helpful then hiding things in a small chest.
I also suggested such stuff (long, long time ago :) ). Looks appealing, but isn't needed.
Once you have the system so far automated, you won't need to know the exact numbers of a chest. It doesn't matter.

Another thing would it be with the heavy stuff. Locomotives, cars, etc. But how should it work in the end and not look wired ("Moment: I can carry a whole oil-refinery in my pocket, but not a simple car?")?

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

I believe if you don't want to change the game, which could be a lot of work, you could change the way you think how the game works. ;-)
What assemblers are producing are not endproducts but parts of them. You would only need a new packaging-machine to put a certain number of small parts of the same endproduct together (for example 4 or 8)) on a pallet or in a container (which could feel like a compression technique) and then put it in your inventory, a train or car.
So you don't carry an oil-refinery in your pocket, but a pallet with all parts you need to build an oil-refinery somewhere else. To build the oilrefinery you place down a semitransparent ghostrefinery (blueprint), which requires some construction time per hand or with construction robots. I believe construction per hand may be the more problematic part, if you are used to lay down things quickly.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

driver wrote:What assemblers are producing are not endproducts but parts of them. You would only need a new packaging-machine to put a certain number of small parts of the same endproduct together (for example 4 or 8)) on a pallet or in a container (which could feel like a compression technique) and then put it in your inventory, a train or car.
So you don't carry an oil-refinery in your pocket, but a pallet with all parts you need to build an oil-refinery somewhere else.
I think I already understood :)
The problem is: There is not a big difference in gameplay if you need to grab an item "oil refinery" or a palette with some of the parts of it. Technically it's the same. The interesting part is only the packing/unpacking. That's where the fun begins, but not if you forbid to pick-up big items without a good reason (a better than "I don't like it").

See boxing-mod. See viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19343 Boxing / Packaging / Container / Cargobox : Pre-Filling

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”