train shunting/switching

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

rabebonsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

train shunting/switching

Post by rabebonsky »

The idea of automatic change of train links between wagons and/or locomotives. This is, for example, for changing overall train length, enabling sending cargo to shorter/longer stations: splitting cargo for different destinations, gathering cargo from different sources, also can be used for rearranging wagon order (different cargo) for mixed up loading/unloading zones of different stations for particular train/or cargo route. or other mixes in these two (length change/rearrangement) purposes. Is like at real world shunt yards, but automatic. Missing such feature in ottd, too. Maybe idea is dull one when done, but from this side where its not yet - very curious for me.
If there is already some lua action or what is it, for link/unlink, then great already, and sorry for asking

Vasillo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: train shunting/switching

Post by Vasillo »

This would not add much, as you can sort stuff and split cargo by having more than one train or such, but i agree i love using trains in this game and any new features are welcome in my book. i'd probably be the first to make a massive pointless shunting yard :P

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

My idea about this is to have a depot (like in OpenTTD).
Usages:
- You can (automatically) built new trains in it (the depot needs to be as long as the train)
- The opposite: You can scrap trains you don't need anymore.
- So shunting is a combination of scraping and new creation.

In OpenTTD the depot is also used for maintenance. Maybe that makes sense in Factorio, too.

From the design I think to a connected building (7 x 4 tiles). The loco and wagon may be placed by inserters, or more elegant methods.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

rabebonsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rabebonsky »

Depot in openttd is like a godbox, thousands of trains of immense length can rest in a single tile.
what of idea of more railfany physical/graphical way, like rolling stock moved by loco, this two wagons here, that one loco there, link, unlink...profit.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

rabebonsky wrote:Depot in openttd is like a godbox, thousands of trains of immense length can rest in a single tile.
:) No not here. I thought it works like a train stop.
what of idea of more railfany physical/graphical way, like rolling stock moved by loco, this two wagons here, that one loco there, link, unlink...profit.
I think the needed details to make this work are very complex. Think it through yourself. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

rabebonsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rabebonsky »

one of ideas: 2 new commands for train (similar to "go to station"):
1. "cut link at particular distance" from the some "main" head of train (maybe some dynamic head, which loco is now at station, somehting like that).
2. "make shunt move toward station(some direction)", by which train will go into occupied blocks and mate with first thing he will touch, althouth here arise broblem with incoming train.

Vasillo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vasillo »

Trains could need services every X tiles traveled and the longer it goes without service the worse it performs until it eventually breaks down and what not. we could have special train stops that signal a section or sections of tracks for maintenance and the trains will automatically seek out these stops when they need maintence

rabebonsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rabebonsky »

Indeed, the train wearing discussion in a topic "Railway maintanance and repair", mentioned towing of a broken train, amongst other options.
But, lately, for me, maintaining/upgrading of existing factories is enough of a challenge besides the oldage of factories trains that can be added on top, so it is bit different topic for me.
I also though of the possible extension of trainstop functionality (or addition of a new rail buildables like trainstops, signals), like adding ability to emit own signals ( "train stops" at this station, etc.) and cut train's link (tho you will need some method of move locomotives at a unspecific location/location, marked with redundand stops(or new rail placeable thing)).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”