Randomized recipes?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Randomized recipes?

Post by Otterbear »

So I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make this game less repetitive. IE:Build smelter stacks..build main buss...expand...ad-nausim.

I realized eventually, that a randomization of the basic recipes of the game could add real flavor to each new game.

There could be an option to randomize recipes under the custom options at the start of each game.

This could include ALL ores and products, or be broken down into simpler terms for mainly vanilla game with subtle changes in mid-late game.

There would be no limit to what recipe changes could be made under "totally randomized" settings. Thus boilers and steam engines, may require copper; Copper wires could be made of wood...ect.
Obviously, you wouldn't have to play with total randomization settings, but it would add a challenge, and give your factories a whole new look.

I think this would allow for players to change the way they build their factory layout, each and every game. Reducing redundant "Cut & Paste" factories and, further reducing boredom, and limiting game burnout. *Something I'm very close to, and the game isn't even finished yet. ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Randomized recipes?

Post by ssilk »

Hmmm. Pure random never guarantees a good game. How about mods instead? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It's an interesting idea that could have hillarious results if implemented :D

Randomizing of recipes with some border values or randomization based on ration of ingredients changes could make the game quite interesting.

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

ssilk wrote:Hmmm. Pure random never guarantees a good game. How about mods instead? :)
"Good" or "Bad" games is very subjective, but "Different" is something I think we could all agree on. :)
Mods are quite possible...should someone be inclined to put in the effort to create such a thing, and have the time and patience to support it long term.
orzelek wrote:It's an interesting idea that could have hillarious results if implemented :D

Randomizing of recipes with some border values or randomization based on ration of ingredients changes could make the game quite interesting.
Thanks Orzelek! Thats kinda what I was aiming for.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Mod-wise, I think it would be pretty easy to make randomly generated Recipes. The hard part is making it the same between saved games. It would get a new set each time you restarted the game...

With that in Mind, you could have a seed value in the config, which you have to make sure it matches the saved game.

Might be feasible. Doubtless would be "Fun" trying to figure out how to efficiently do stuff again.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Mod-wise, I think it would be pretty easy to make randomly generated Recipes. The hard part is making it the same between saved games. It would get a new set each time you restarted the game...

With that in Mind, you could have a seed value in the config, which you have to make sure it matches the saved game.

Might be feasible. Doubtless would be "Fun" trying to figure out how to efficiently do stuff again.
Thanks for the feedback, Ranakastrasz! I was thinking about adding the "Seed" idea, but didn't want to overwhelm the devs. :D

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Otterbear wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:Mod-wise, I think it would be pretty easy to make randomly generated Recipes. The hard part is making it the same between saved games. It would get a new set each time you restarted the game...

Thanks for the feedback, Ranakastrasz! I was thinking about adding the "Seed" idea, but didn't want to overwhelm the devs. :D
Looking at RSO - seed idea is not a problem. Only requirement is a custom rng implemented in the mod and RSO has some of those already.
Potentiall problem would be if mod setup would change and recipes would reroll - rng sequence could end up differently then and things would change.

Could always store stuff about recipes in global that would solve both issues probably. It's a tempting idea but I'm in not looking at 0.13 mode atm ;)

stylistic_sagi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by stylistic_sagi »

I like the way you are going with this but there has to be some boundries...
For example when you say things like copper can be made out of wood it is just getting redicukless. it hase to be more ore less realistic

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

stylistic_sagi wrote:I like the way you are going with this but there has to be some boundries...
For example when you say things like copper can be made out of wood it is just getting redicukless. it hase to be more ore less realistic
Thanks for the feedback, Stylistic_sagi!

First of all, no one is being forced to use this option.
Secondly, You don't HAVE to use the "Fully Randomized" option. This option could be configurable, so that you could have minor changes, major changes, radical changes, and/or what types of changes you would prefer to be randomized.

Given what Aboutbob (Bobs mods) can do with the ores and recipes...one can imagine a very unique game with some very "weird" combinations.

I'm thinking of a game with many more ores, and many "Weird" ways to combine them.

The point isn't to comply with the norm, but to change it.

Anyone who has played this game for very long, knows that it can get very redundant after a while. (IE:The start is the same, the middle is the same, the end is the same...) I'm trying to find a way to avoid this cut-n-paste game, and add some real flavor.

It would be entirely up to the player as to whether or not they choose "Totally Random" as their option. It's not forced on anybody.

However; it would allow for a genuinely new game every time, and you couldn't use "Blueprints" or "Cut-n-paste" creations.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

One possible way to make games different is to encourage sub-factory style instead of bus style. This can be done by increasing terrain and water segmentation, so you don't have big chunks of land anywhere. But that will also hinder possibility to put rails, so I guess it's not an option either until we finally get ropeway transportation :)

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

Harkonnen604 wrote:One possible way to make games different is to encourage sub-factory style instead of bus style. This can be done by increasing terrain and water segmentation, so you don't have big chunks of land anywhere. But that will also hinder possibility to put rails, so I guess it's not an option either until we finally get ropeway transportation :)
Well said, Harkonnen!
I think that was one of the things I noticed with watching a lot of YT play...nobody ever "wings" it. Its all the same...calculated, cut-n-paste..(let me check my list of layouts and put everything perfectly in place EVERY FREAKIN time!)
I keep trying to think of ways to sub-factory limit myself. (To be honest, the desire to "do it right" the first time is hard to fight.) So, something is needed to help the player develop factories organically or in a less than perfect way.

LOL! I was just laying in bed thinking it would be neat to have some kind of aerial transport system (NOT robots), to move items across large factories, without space to place train lines or more conveyors. I was thinking catapults, or shoots and ladders kind of things...or even aerial conveyors.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks again.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

That's not me. That's this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7977 It's magic.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Otterbear wrote:
Harkonnen604 wrote:One possible way to make games different is to encourage sub-factory style instead of bus style. This can be done by increasing terrain and water segmentation, so you don't have big chunks of land anywhere. But that will also hinder possibility to put rails, so I guess it's not an option either until we finally get ropeway transportation :)
Well said, Harkonnen!
I think that was one of the things I noticed with watching a lot of YT play...nobody ever "wings" it. Its all the same...calculated, cut-n-paste..(let me check my list of layouts and put everything perfectly in place EVERY FREAKIN time!)
I keep trying to think of ways to sub-factory limit myself. (To be honest, the desire to "do it right" the first time is hard to fight.) So, something is needed to help the player develop factories organically or in a less than perfect way.

LOL! I was just laying in bed thinking it would be neat to have some kind of aerial transport system (NOT robots), to move items across large factories, without space to place train lines or more conveyors. I was thinking catapults, or shoots and ladders kind of things...or even aerial conveyors.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks again.
You could kinda force it to have more subfactories, in the way that you add more subcomponents with increasing volume so that local production is preferable.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Marathon does that, via expaning copper volume.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

Harkonnen604 wrote:That's not me. That's this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7977 It's magic.
Ha! Your right! That is what I was thinking...although catapults would be funny and fun. With like a net to catch stuff. :D
Ranakastrasz wrote:Marathon does that, via expaning copper volume.
I'm not sure I understand this...is there a link or vid that explains it a bit more. Thanks.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Otterbear wrote:
Harkonnen604 wrote:That's not me. That's this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7977 It's magic.
Ha! Your right! That is what I was thinking...although catapults would be funny and fun. With like a net to catch stuff. :D
Ranakastrasz wrote:Marathon does that, via expaning copper volume.
I'm not sure I understand this...is there a link or vid that explains it a bit more. Thanks.
Marathon is a mod that changes recipes to make game much longer. It also changes ratios of ore to plates which makes local ore smelting more useful.

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

orzelek wrote:Marathon is a mod that changes recipes to make game much longer. It also changes ratios of ore to plates which makes local ore smelting more useful.
Thanks Orzelek!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

From what I recall, Marathon makes 1 copper ore make 5 Copper plates, and Circuits use 10 Wires.... or something. Can't recall, been a while.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”