The Overall Game: what should be in the next updates?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

exstreamrider
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

The Overall Game: what should be in the next updates?

Post by exstreamrider »

Hello Exstreamrider here I have a huge question for all of you ive always kinda wondered what the people want from the game and wondered what the community thinks the future of Factorio.
So now that the heading is all over really this really is what i like to call an idea stew. tell me what you think. ill be in the comments pushing some ideas and helping to grow some ideas.
SO HAVE AN IDEA POST IT BELOW AND I WILL ANSWER
STREAM

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: The Overall Game: what should be in the next updates?

Post by Klonan »

We generally keep ideas in seperate threads, so that discussion can be more focussed on specific features, rather than a single thread with a lot of different suggestions,

Also i have moved this thread to the Ideas and Suggestions sub-forum

exstreamrider
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by exstreamrider »

Klonan wrote:We generally keep ideas in seperate threads, so that discussion can be more focussed on specific features, rather than a single thread with a lot of different suggestions,

Also i have moved this thread to the Ideas and Suggestions sub-forum
Understood thanks for the help :D

exstreamrider
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by exstreamrider »

So in general i would like these posts to be directed towards stuff and yes i know there are more... direct ideas but i feel a general stewpot is great so hears my first idea to bring up for all viewers so.. yeah..

should there be an upgrade to the mining of oil and use of substances with oil?

my personal belief is that probably the most tedious resource in the game: running down till the point it becomes very useless to use the pools.

so i believe that in real life that in some cases we don't get all we can out of oil as there are oil sands which require further processing to take out all the oil. this idea should be put in the game with a new crude oil sands which must be processed to get crude oil.

any ideas on this just quote this an ill try to respond or change this to get a better idea!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

any ideas on this just quote this an ill try to respond or change this to get a better idea!

To make it clear: I don't want to have here a poll about what should be made; a todo-list for the devs. That is contra-productive.

And to avoid getting this out of control: I try since years to bring some systematics into the suggestions, which is hard work. :) I don't have anything against creative chaos, sometimes it is useful. Well, we'll see, but I fear it can get out of control.

So, I suggest, that someone can only make next-version-suggestions, if he links (!) an existing suggestion. (*)
I think this will prevent posts like "I want more enemies". What enemies? There are 20 or more posts about new enemies! How should they behave and so on.
Simply link to a post about enemies! Discussions can be done also there.

BTW: we're speaking here from v0.14, cause v0.13 is released in some weeks. ;)

PS: Please don't use colors, that are badly visible with different layouts and look ugly. :)

(*) Making links is simple: Copy the link-adress from the header (right mouse button, "copy link adress" or similar), paste it here and add the title.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

xuhao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xuhao »

hey

First of all Id like to state that i find this game to be a game of complexity and management. And i like that, at least the complexity part :)

So in my oppinion this game should focus on enhancing and evolving these features.

Overall I think the logical storyline follow-up could be something like " we have a contact! but our fellow humans have little/no means of helping... we must build our own space capsule/interstellar device to escape the planet. This is very simple, ofc, but that doesnt necessarily make it bad imo...

Alternately you could have others (humans???) visit the planet. It coul be someone who (for whatever reason) is not freindly towards you, and you would have to battle them, or it could be someone who wanted you to perform certain quest. you could ofc encounter other '"races" e.i. some ai creature that interacts with the player in other ways than combat, but i think of this a more of a mod thing.

Overall i think prolonging the time it takes to finish the game (at least to some degree) would seem like a good idea. (my first game took more than 100 hours!!! - but had i known what i was doing from the get-go, and not trying out stuff and wanting to reseach everything - something taht I didnt actually acomplish!! - well i could have completed much faster.) Because, well, even though heards of trains are awesome and massive roboports rocks, well - if you want to complete the game and go back to earth, they are a waste of ressources along with most of the end-game context of the game. Its cool. Its awesome. You just dont need it as part of the game goal. At least the way i see it.

Dont get me wrong - I dont think it should be necessary to reseach and build everything in order to complete the object (return home after the crash) but as of now there are many things in the game that you really do not need to build the rocket. Should it be needed or just for fun? Or just omething for the people who DO NOT WANT to leave the planet, because they have become more attached to their home-build ai simulation than to the RL people back on earth?? Well... I like the game as it is! Id like some positive changes!! (who wouldnt) BUT REALLY!!! I not sure i know whats positive!! I dont know every aspect of the game, the balancing and the base programming features. So please just think of this as an oppnoin

Anyways - GOOD GAME - well done sirs and ladies behind the scene

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

xuhao wrote:hey

First of all Id like to state that i find this game to be a game of complexity and management. And i like that, at least the complexity part :)

So in my oppinion this game should focus on enhancing and evolving these features.

Overall I think the logical storyline follow-up could be something like " we have a contact! but our fellow humans have little/no means of helping... we must build our own space capsule/interstellar device to escape the planet. This is very simple, ofc, but that doesnt necessarily make it bad imo...

Alternately you could have others (humans???) visit the planet. It coul be someone who (for whatever reason) is not freindly towards you, and you would have to battle them, or it could be someone who wanted you to perform certain quest. you could ofc encounter other '"races" e.i. some ai creature that interacts with the player in other ways than combat, but i think of this a more of a mod thing.

Overall i think prolonging the time it takes to finish the game (at least to some degree) would seem like a good idea. (my first game took more than 100 hours!!! - but had i known what i was doing from the get-go, and not trying out stuff and wanting to reseach everything - something taht I didnt actually acomplish!! - well i could have completed much faster.) Because, well, even though heards of trains are awesome and massive roboports rocks, well - if you want to complete the game and go back to earth, they are a waste of ressources along with most of the end-game context of the game. Its cool. Its awesome. You just dont need it as part of the game goal. At least the way i see it.

Dont get me wrong - I dont think it should be necessary to reseach and build everything in order to complete the object (return home after the crash) but as of now there are many things in the game that you really do not need to build the rocket. Should it be needed or just for fun? Or just omething for the people who DO NOT WANT to leave the planet, because they have become more attached to their home-build ai simulation than to the RL people back on earth?? Well... I like the game as it is! Id like some positive changes!! (who wouldnt) BUT REALLY!!! I not sure i know whats positive!! I dont know every aspect of the game, the balancing and the base programming features. So please just think of this as an oppnoin

Anyways - GOOD GAME - well done sirs and ladies behind the scene
Haha, yeah you think you are the only surviver of the [enter Spaceship-name] crash, but after you setup your first radar, you detect a second rescue capsule with the crew member id of your biggest foe from the space academy.
To escape this planet and this new thread a race for the resources of this damned planet begins.
This would be the final (deadly) exam to find out which cadet is qualified as the new sky captain of tomorrow.
Or are you so kind to sacrifice your build rescue ship for your rival?

It's upon you.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

exstreamrider
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by exstreamrider »

ssilk wrote:

To make it clear: I don't want to have here a poll about what should be made; a todo-list for the devs. That is contra-productive.

And to avoid getting this out of control: I try since years to bring some systematics into the suggestions, which is hard work. :) I don't have anything against creative chaos, sometimes it is useful. Well, we'll see, but I fear it can get out of control.

So, I suggest, that someone can only make next-version-suggestions, if he links (!) an existing suggestion. (*)
I think this will prevent posts like "I want more enemies". What enemies? There are 20 or more posts about new enemies! How should they behave and so on.
Simply link to a post about enemies! Discussions can be done also there.

BTW: we're speaking here from v0.14, cause v0.13 is released in some weeks. ;)

PS: Please don't use colors, that are badly visible with different layouts and look ugly. :)

(*) Making links is simple: Copy the link-adress from the header (right mouse button, "copy link adress" or similar), paste it here and add the title.
okay thanks for info will do

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Seems that I've been in a really bad mood when writing that. :) I'm sorry. I would write it now much more friendlier, but basically I see it equal. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

On topic - I'd vote for extending campaign to like 30 missions. Many interesting game features can be shown there like having iron/copper but oil behind huge biters base (which you have to fight without oil). Visiting half-destroyed bases where you have to figure out how everything was connected. Building a car with limited resources so you can quickly drive narrow passage full of enemies towards another base with turrets and continue from there, etc.. That's a place for like 100 hours of diverse gameplay.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”