Remove _version requirement from mod folder/zip names

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

svish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Remove _version requirement from mod folder/zip names

Post by svish »

Just starting playing around with adding some mods, and found out several of them are actually repositories on github. So I figured that, hey, an easy way to keep the mod updated would be to just clone the github repo into the factorio mod folder and do a git pull when it's updated.

Unfortunately I quickly discovered when I tried launching the game that the folder name have to have the version in the folder name... Looked in the info.json, renamed the folder, and it worked fine. But yeah... feels very unnecessary? Why is this a requirement at all? When all the actual info shown in the game seems to be in info.json anyways, couldn't the folder be named whatever?

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Remove _version requirement from mod folder/zip names

Post by seronis »

It allows people looking at the mods be able to tell what version they have at a glance without having to open any files. Personally i've wished that other games required this. I absolutely do not want the requirement lifted

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Considering it was a relatively recent addition to the requirements, I highly doubt the requirement will change.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

svish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by svish »

seronis wrote:It allows people looking at the mods be able to tell what version they have at a glance without having to open any files. Personally i've wished that other games required this. I absolutely do not want the requirement lifted
First of all, with the requirement lifted, people could still have the version in the name if they wanted. Secondly, wouldn't they be able to see this at a glance in the mods listing in the game anyways?

And besides, how often do you need to see all the versions in a glance anyways? Especially if you actually could have some sort of auto-updating mechanism so it wouldn't matter to begin with.

Also opening a text file, that rare time you need to check, isn't that difficult :)

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

There's going to be an official mod portal soon so it will be irrelevant.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”