Concrete and resources

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Concrete and resources

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I REALLY like this idea!

ssilk wrote:This suggestion is a good idea, but not well thought through :), for example removing oil wells can become a heavy problem for newbies. I recommend to be more detailed with this suggestion.
He did say that if you have a mining drill on the cursor, it would display all ore patches that are covered up. They could also show up on the map. If you have a pumpjack in hand, it would display the oil patches.

Preston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Preston »

AileTheAlien wrote:This is totally getting off-topic...
But I deal with oil using this helpful mod that makes oil run out.
This mod affects an integral part of gameplay. What we want does not affect gameplay other than not being able to have concrete under mining drills and pumpjacks. We want concrete to be drawn above all resources (including oil wells) instead of below. The resources would still be visible under concrete with either a toggle key or when you have a mining drill or pumpjack equipped. Also, this proposed drawing order should be an integral part of the game and not just a mod. It is just unrealistic to have resources shown above concrete and annoying to have to mine the resources out before building overtop and changing oil wells will break factories. Yet the oil wells will still be a pain to drill out just to expand your factory. Especially with resources getting richer the farther you move away from spawn, it could take real life DAYS to mine out the resources even if you make the drills as fast as possible with beacons. This may be worst case scenario, but it still could happen.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I am up with the idea of concrete hiding resources.

I would say make it this way:
In normal mode resources are 100% hidden
In Alt-mode resources are alpha-blended. You may want to add an option checkbox to hide them completely even in alt-mode

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I tend to play with everything a bit spaced out (Rail World preset) so I usually have room to expand without hitting any oil wells or anything, it would still annoy me knowing there's iron ore under the concrete as an untapped resource, but I can see where you are coming from.

I am however 100% for concrete rendering over decorations. Really annoying to place a bunch of concrete to find it looks like it's been there a few years and is growing shrubs through the cracks. In addition to the speed bonus concrete is mostly used because it looks very tidy, except it doesn't...
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Preston wrote:annoying to have to mine the resources out before building overtop
I would say that the small annoyance of having to mine out resources before placing concrete, is a small price when your end-goal is just making concrete not look silly. i.e. The only problem right now, is that if you put down concrete on the same tiles as resources, it looks like the ore somehow materialized on top of the concrete. The easiest solution, which would also be the most intuitive, is that you just can't put concrete on top of ores, trees, rocks, oil patches, etc in the game.

nemostein
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nemostein »

PacifyerGrey wrote:I would say make it this way:
In normal mode resources are 100% hidden
In Alt-mode resources are alpha-blended. You may want to add an option checkbox to hide them completely even in alt-mode
This!™
"I'd say the main bottleneck is sleep." - AndrewIRL

Preston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Preston »

AileTheAlien wrote:
Preston wrote:annoying to have to mine the resources out before building overtop
I would say that the small annoyance of having to mine out resources before placing concrete, is a small price when your end-goal is just making concrete not look silly. i.e. The only problem right now, is that if you put down concrete on the same tiles as resources, it looks like the ore somehow materialized on top of the concrete. The easiest solution, which would also be the most intuitive, is that you just can't put concrete on top of ores, trees, rocks, oil patches, etc in the game.
Right now, you can place concrete anywhere just playing the game normally. You can use landfill to allow building on water bodies. You can deplete a resource field. You can chop down a forest. You can mine rocks away? You cannot completely eliminate oil wells. The oil will continue to trickle in through the pumpjacks no matter how long you drill. Changing this so oil wells will be eliminated when depleted will change people's play styles. Factories would break. There would be less incentive to optimize the pumpjacks for speed. Concrete should form a trim around trees and rocks when placed under them. My previous post still applies to this suggestion.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Alternatively, Landfill deletes oil fields?

Before you say this makes the game impossible, there are always more oil fields (sometimes much further away) and it's entirely possible to do the same with water before you have researched solar power.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Alternatively, Landfill deletes oil fields?

Before you say this makes the game impossible, there are always more oil fields (sometimes much further away) and it's entirely possible to do the same with water before you have researched solar power.
Sounds interesting.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Nah doesn't really make sense. Having Concrete render over the top of it or even make it completely inaccessible until the Concrete is removed would be better. Though using landfill would be easier to implement.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”