Some suggestions(or may be even requests)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Some suggestions(or may be even requests)

Post by AlexPhoenix »

In general:
- fluid wagon(with wagon pump stations).
- fluid power source for furnaces, burners, transport, etc(with fuel tank support).
- for transport must be fuel stations.
- electric power source for transport(with accumulator support).
- multiple item fuel requrements(for example for steam locomotive must be both water and coal)
- fuel types at all(for example to limit fuel items using by entities)
- turrets on transport(automatic and hand)
- more conditions for trains(and bigger limit for timer)
- more control and logical devices for fluids.
- pump end(with destroing)
- item recycler or at list destroer)
- valves for pipes.

also i think about making turrets/cars/trains/battle robots customizable,
-example for turret:
--platform(with some connectors to weapons) and weapon system to it(limited by size for example)

thats all for now ^^

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Some suggestions(or may be even requests)

Post by slpwnd »

That is a lot of suggestions / requests :D
AlexPhoenix wrote: - fluid wagon(with wagon pump stations).
- fluid power source for furnaces, burners, transport, etc(with fuel tank support).
- for transport must be fuel stations.
- more conditions for trains(and bigger limit for timer)
- more control and logical devices for fluids.
- item recycler or at list destroer)
- valves for pipes.
This is definitely planned.

The idea for composable turret is quite interesting. We actually plan to do a similar thing as the armor for the car / tank - it could be done in a similar fashion.

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlexPhoenix »

slpwnd wrote:That is a lot of suggestions / requests :D
yep, i know, but most things i missed with 0.9.
slpwnd wrote:This is definitely planned.
Nice ^^.
slpwnd wrote:The idea for composable turret is quite interesting. We actually plan to do a similar thing as the armor for the car / tank - it could be done in a similar fashion.
i took this idea from Sword of The Stars space strategy, where you design all your ships(some ship sections by task, engine section, all weapon systems (near every cannon), modules and internal enhancement(primary armor)).
next you can build all your designed ships.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

Bumping this rather than creating a new topic since it covers similar ground just maybe in more depth for a point or two. After another couple of games I've really begun to notice how limiting the current transport network is. I've attempted to list the biggest issues (as I see them) below in the hope to either get some further discussion going to flesh out the ideas more or in a perfect world for a dev to come along and say "yeah next version will have those" (hey one can always hope).

1.Electric Trains. Charging points at stations.

2. Renaming of stations to meaningful names (ie coal mines west, main hub east)

3. New track type: Platform. Allow multiple platforms per station name. Ability to direct trains to Station name platform #. Ability to name platforms. Ie, Central Hub Station, Platform 5 Coal.

4. Train commands. Additional commands to be given to trains such as:
Wait for full load.
Wait until empty.
Leave upon arrival of another train.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

Balinor wrote: 2. Renaming of stations to meaningful names (ie coal mines west, main hub east)
No. As much as i want this feature, I don't think it should be added. One of the perks of of paying more for the game is getting a station named after you. Perhaps we can nicknames that show up under the name or something, but not changing it entirely.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

ludsoe wrote:
Balinor wrote: 2. Renaming of stations to meaningful names (ie coal mines west, main hub east)
No. As much as i want this feature, I don't think it should be added. One of the perks of of paying more for the game is getting a station named after you. Perhaps we can nicknames that show up under the name or something, but not changing it entirely.
As with the research it can be shown as "Dedicated to". There is nothing stopping both from being shown if people want to insist on that, however it IS damaging the game in the current format simply because the naming scheme is nonsense.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Balinor wrote:. Renaming of stations to meaningful names (ie coal mines west, main hub east)
+1

I did not bought the highest tier to see my "that-don't-mean-anything"-nickname in the game. I bought it because I like the game, believe in the idea and want to support the developer.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

drs9999 wrote:
Balinor wrote:. Renaming of stations to meaningful names (ie coal mines west, main hub east)
+1

I did not bought the highest tier to see my "that-don't-mean-anything"-nickname in the game. I bought it because I like the game, believe in the idea and want to support the developer.
+1 from me to :|

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

1. Electric train should be end-game vehicle for transportation on very long distances. It should have low electric capacity and be recharges constantly via electric tracks.

2. Renaming stations? Absolutely NO, but it should be possible to add description.

3. Stations with multiple platforms would be great but without manually choosing platform for trains because it can be done with multiple station. Station with multiple platforms would be working like normal station but when one platform is occupied by train, another one is directed to another platform without waiting.

4. Commands for trains is must have for me. I know that it's not Transport Tycoon but we should have control over train network.

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlexPhoenix »

i think there is must be renaming of stations, cuz we in production facility, not in towns.

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

1. Electric train should be end-game vehicle for transportation on very long distances. It should have low electric capacity and be recharges constantly via electric tracks.
And what makes it better that steam then?

2. Renaming stations? Oh yes!

3. Surprisingly, I am against this. It is possible to achieve it with the current mechanics, and a "magic" station which automatically redirects trains goes against the feel of the game, IMO.

4. On the other hand, commands are required, ther present system is a bit unflexible.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

Sir Nick wrote:
And what makes it better that steam then?

2. Renaming stations? Oh yes!

3. Surprisingly, I am against this. It is possible to achieve it with the current mechanics, and a "magic" station which automatically redirects trains goes against the feel of the game, IMO.

4. On the other hand, commands are required, ther present system is a bit unflexible.

In response to 3.

Yes it is possible to do currently, in fact it is extremely easy to do currently. It just looks messy on the map. The addition would purely be a cosmetic thing so that screenshots look better.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Balinor wrote: In response to 3.

Yes it is possible to do currently, in fact it is extremely easy to do currently. It just looks messy on the map. The addition would purely be a cosmetic thing so that screenshots look better.

Not really - you are forgetting that everyone uses different setups and lengths for stations. Any custom multiplatform station would be extremely limiting. Besides currently it is possible to make very neat multiplatform designs with rails only 2 blocks apart, which are extremely customizable.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

I'm referring to the map showing names. For current multiplatform stations you can indeed have a very neat layout but when you go to map view it will become an unholy mess when it tries to render all the station names. If it is in fact a single station with platforms it is no stretch of the imagination that it will just show the station name. Hence cosmetic. Hopefully I explained what I meant better there.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Balinor wrote:I'm referring to the map showing names. For current multiplatform stations you can indeed have a very neat layout but when you go to map view it will become an unholy mess when it tries to render all the station names. If it is in fact a single station with platforms it is no stretch of the imagination that it will just show the station name. Hence cosmetic. Hopefully I explained what I meant better there.
This only happens for vertical stations. Horizontal and staggered vertical stations both show all names neatly. In this regard it would be more prudent to ask for name spam fix instead.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think
- electric trains: sometimes. Far future. I have an extreme problem with the rail radiuses, this look unnatural yet, when train drives with only 2 wagons. I think a faster train driving thru these curves just looks ridiculous. So I mean faster trains after other types of rails only.
- Names: default is like current. Ok. But changing is needed in game. You will see that, when you built bigger, 1000-2000 tiles...
- multi platform works already. But not good and reliable. This goes hand in hand with some wtfs in the train routing. Solvable, not so important yet.
- commands for trains should be an advanced circuit network.

I see also the train control as a big point, which should be implemented as soon as possible. I mean an overview of all trains, routes, setup, programming with the circuits, selecting of stations, better seeing the trains on map, distincting trains and such things. With more than 10 trains it begins to be a real mess, if your trains are so far away, that you need 1-3 minutes to drive to them or have to wait until it is in the station to reprogram it.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”