Mining locomotive / rail

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Mining locomotive / rail

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi,

when you mine a locomotive from a railway to your bag, and if you keep mouse rightbutton pressed, you'll continue mining the rail that was under the locomotive. So you just release the mouse button before mining the rail and everything is fine.

BUT if you have a really quick mining tool, you are so quick that you cannot avoid mining the both of them : the locomotive and the rail under it...

It would be nice that once you mine a vehicle, the mining action will be stopped until you press right button again.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mining locomotive / rail

Post by ssilk »

The same problem appears with accidentally mining bots, that flies through, or mining layed ground...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

I can understand that when you mine a ore, the automatic repetition is necessary.

So maybe, mining should repet only on the same type of objects. If type of object under the cursor changes, then mining is reset and you have to click again...
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

binbinhfr wrote:So maybe, mining should repet only on the same type of objects. If type of object under the cursor changes, then mining is reset and you have to click again...
I don't like this approach. That way if I had to remove an assembler with several (maybe even mixed) inserters I'd have to right-click three times instead of once. And removing large or alternating structures would require lots of clicks.

Instead, I propose that mining should remove only the first item on the current tile. This way it would behave as usual for most cases, I think only vehicles would be affected by this change. EDIT: not sure about rail crossings?

Or make a special exception for trains/cargo-wagons and maybe cars/tanks to only allow mining this type for the duration of the right-click, this way we can actually mine the whole train incl. cargo-wagons in one go without mining rail.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tobsimon »

Are you talking about the steel axe that is too fast, or some modded super axe? Because frankly I don't think it is a serious problem in vanilla.
As a rule, I'd say, restart mining only if
  • the mouse pointer is moved outside the original catchment area or
  • it is the same item than the mined one (straight and curved rail counts as same)
So no mining of
  • belts under trees (in that case though, I'd like the priority to be switche so that I can destruct a belt under a tree without cutting down the tree),
  • ores under drills,
  • rails under trains.
Still it probably won't be possible to continously walk/mine a whole train without catching some raile segments between the waggons.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

0.13 fixed this for ores (mining trees or whatever disables mining of ore until you release the button). 0.13 also reduced the mining time for rails, making it a much more common problem in vanilla. I'd love to see this fixed for trains/rails as well as anything/bots.

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

Maybe only mine one type of object at once, with the following types:
- ores (coal, copper, iron, stone)
- natural resources (trees, rocks) (included because mining a wall/belt behind a tree can be difficult, and sometimes even impossible without a deconstruction planner. This would make it a lot easier/quicker to mine a belt that goes through a forest)
- vehicles (trains, cars, tanks)
- bots
- normal structures (belts, machines, furnaces, inserters, ...)
- paths / ground (stone path, concrete, maybe rails)

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

Just make it so if you start mining a vehicle (train, train car, etc), you can't mine anything that's not a vehicle or vehicle related until you click again.

TheUnknown007, I think that's a good idea, but I would combine vehicles and normal structures. It would also be nice to have a hotkey that only lets you mine bots (perhaps a mod?)

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

daniel34 wrote:Instead, I propose that mining should remove only the first item on the current tile. This way it would behave as usual for most cases, I think only vehicles would be affected by this change.
+1, this makes a lot of sense. I'm also royally annoyed by the current behaviour, because I've set the mining speed to essentially infinite (i.e. instant mining for everything). It's not possible to remove a train without removing the rail underneath it as well.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”