Release Blender Material Library for modding

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ragnaman
Inserter
Inserter

Release Blender Material Library for modding

Post by Ragnaman »

Why:
1) Would help modders create 3D objects fitting the vanilla world.
2) Would encourage modders to create their own 3D objects for entities.
3) Would encourage modders to share their creations, leading to joint modding efforts, all with the benefit of being streamlined texture wise.

How:
Release the material library with a specific license that objects created with any of those materials can be used only in Factorio in the form of a mod (yes-no-maybe);

Reference for why I got the idea to suggest this:
http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-78
|
| Mods: Greenhouse with modules
| Hobby artist (CAD) | Hobby coder | Lead Software Engineer | Employed
|

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Release Blender Material Library for modding

Post by V453000 »

Hi,

While I understand the reason why you think this is useful, here are some counter-arguments/problems:

- many of the textures, namely from textures.com, have a license which explicitly doesn't allow sharing (yeah we could share just the material nodes but that becomes quite pointless)

- the material library doesn't help you nearly as much as you might think. The final state of the objects is generally very different due to heavy use of painting in the materials themselves/postproduction. The bare materials look quite far from what you actually see in the game.

- even we do not use these same materials that much. Many times we create new ones anyway.

I am not the one who should be deciding whether we share this or not, so do not take my reply as decisive. But I just think those are pretty valid points to consider.

P.S. Generally it isn't that hard to take a texture from textures.com, putting it to a processor like crazybump, and setting up your material.

Ragnaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ragnaman »

Thanks for consideration.
All of those are valid points, some modders manage to make wonderful objects anyway;
|
|

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

My issue is more the fact that you can use the most beautiful textures on your models, when they are scaled down and mangled through the factorio render they are not visible or ugly most of the times :D So with facotrio the less or simpler textures you use the better.
Last edited by Arch666Angel on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ragnaman »

Arch666Angel wrote:My issue is more the fact that you can use the most beautiful textures on your models, when they are scaled down and mangled through the factorio render they are not visible or ugly most of the times :D So with facotrio the less or simpler textures you use the better. Can I use your materials with Cinema4D?
How do you plan on "using materials" are they available somewhere ?
|
|

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Ragnaman wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:My issue is more the fact that you can use the most beautiful textures on your models, when they are scaled down and mangled through the factorio render they are not visible or ugly most of the times :D So with facotrio the less or simpler textures you use the better. Can I use your materials with Cinema4D?
How do you plan on "using materials" are they available somewhere ?
Sry misread something there :)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

How to download this?

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Hi, as V453000 said, would it be possible to share the models? Recently I want to challenge myself by making my own GFX for my new mod, but problem is, it is a fluid turret. Without the pipe model, it is quite hard to make a proper joint between the turret and the pipes.

And with those little objects shown in that FFF, I think it would be helpful for us to make models that fit Factorio style. ;)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”