Used in X recipes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Used in X recipes

Post by ficolas »

It would be nice to have a way to check where a resource is used.
Like for example, it tab mode, instead of getting the total raw, you get where it is used.

Jiryx
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Used in X recipes

Post by Jiryx »

I am looking for such feature too. Some way to see all items (already researched) that are crafted from something. Like if I point mouse over electronic-circuit and press for example CTRL, it shows all items requiring electronic-circuit in its recipes.

Vanilla recipes are easy to learn, but this will be very useful in mods, where recipes aren't often well documented. Player has to go thru all new items and search what needs what. And again after some technologies are researched and new items unlocked. Sometimes i feel some things are useless, because I can't find anything that is made from them.

Another usage, if you have some items, which are currently useless, you can check, if they are used in recipes for something else, so you can use it for that instead of throwing them away or put in "useless items" chest.
Sometimes modifying mods makes more fun than playing them. ;-)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

When learning the game (or new items added to stock) I referenced the technology screen.
This already parses all mod files and puts all the info in one place. All items that have a research requirement will also be listed.

I suppose an alternative view for the research screen that instead lists all items, instead of technologies, would be useful.
Seems like the framework to parse out the items for this screen are mostly in place for the techscreen.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

I read somewhere that the UI is definitely on the list of things to overhaul, especially the technology screen (as if that weren't obvious from looking at it :P)

I'm sure this will be incorporated when that happens, as I myself have been wanting this feature as well. It would certainly make planning out things a bit easier in vanilla, and would be a big boon to mods as you mentioned. In a game like Factorio more information and more tabs is always a good thing.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

More tabs is not a good thing. That only means ever more pages to sort through when trying to find an item you haven't memorized the position of.
An example of this effect in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EocwVJ6CgF8#t=844 :P
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”