Researchable item placement range increase for players

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Researchable item placement range increase for players

Post by Kelderek »

I think it would be useful to be able to increase the range at which our characters can place items. It looks like the range has a base of 6 tiles and it can be a pain to reposition the character just so you can place something on the ground - especially in a clutter part of your factory. Why not allow us to research a few upgrades to item placement range on the tech tree? I don't think the maximum range should be any higher than about 20 tiles (you could use a mod if you wanted to go farther). At a minimum we should be able to get enough tech ranks to double the distance to 12. You could have it add 2 or 3 tiles of range per rank for a few ranks and I would start it with green science so it would be similar to the toolbelt upgrade.

Examples:
6 ranks of +1 tile range per rank, for 12 tile range at maximum
5 ranks of +2 tile range per rank, for 16 tile range at maximum
4 ranks of +3 tile range per rank, for 18 tile range at maximum

I know there is a mod that makes the placement range a huge value, like most of your screen, but I personally think that is a bit much. I also like the idea of needing to research it in stages much like character logistic/trash slots instead of getting it for free with a mod.

Related links:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18176&p=119371
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=18187

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Researchable item placement range increase for players

Post by The Phoenixian »

Isn't this accomplished by portable roboports and shift clicking?
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

The Phoenixian wrote:Isn't this accomplished by portable roboports and shift clicking?
He means for the character itself without the help of a portable roboport, I can see this being useful, Portable Roboports will still be relevant if this is added, sine without roboports you won't be able to build multiple items with 1 click, while this only increases reach.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

It can be a long time into a game before you get your personal roboport, and even then you may still choose to place items yourself. I just see this a a quality of life feature much like adding the second row to the toolbelt or adding character logistics slots.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”