Even higher logistic needs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lukasecicek
Inserter
Inserter

Even higher logistic needs

Post by Lukasecicek »

I look forward to versions, where player is not able to construct everything in his bare hands, only the basic stuff. But for the bigger things, there should even be a restriction in carrying those things - for example no cars and trains in pockets :)
How about assembly machines that need to be connected with rails for the train to come out, or connected with inserter to some "train depot" where the train can be deployed. This should make players need to think ahead of where the stuff is built, because logistics of big stuff should be a big thing.

There should arise new questions in the game like "Oooh yeah now i crafted X... but how the hell i get it to the place where i want it?" and "Maybe delivering crude materials and making the assembly of X somewhere else could be a better idea" (X can be any big thing you dont normally stack in thousands in your pockets)

Iam aware that this is not really a good idea for first moments in game - hauling big steam engines should be considered "big stuff" aswell, but maybe disabling stacking of steams and stuff like that to make player only carry less and use temporary chests somewhere in his base?

(imho stacks of already built items should be lowered - turrets, rails, assembly machines, etc...)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Even higher logistic needs

Post by kovarex »

Hello,
we have been discussing the idea that rails + car wouldn't have the item representation at all already and we like it.
As you said, the assembling machine with rail connection (depo), that would make the train vehicles inside would make sense and add something, but there are currently bigger problems to be solved in upcoming versions.

Flashbong
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Flashbong »

yeah but you should be able to redo them by splitting there in their crafting-parts because otherwise it would be just to hard. You would have to think perfektly ahead and if there are bug or anything this would make you loose everything

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Flashbong wrote:yeah but you should be able to redo them by splitting there in their crafting-parts because otherwise it would be just to hard. You would have to think perfektly ahead and if there are bug or anything this would make you loose everything
Not everything, just 1/2 or 1/3 of stack of iron and a handful of steel and copper.

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

Most of the placeable items are bigger than the player character. However, the fact, that I am able to move these objects around easily, place them, remove them and place them somewhere else, ist one of the strong points of this game. Without the possibility to constantly redesign and optimize the factory, it would become much less fun. So stuff like steam engines, assembly lines etc. really shouldn't need any complicated means of transport.

In the case of vehicles, the current situation is somewhat absurd, since you can eather put the charcter inside the vehicle, or the vehicle inside the character.

I think it could add fun to the game to have certain big, non-placeable, high end objects, that need a special kind of assembly line and a special way of transportation. There could be a vehicle assembly building, with connection to railroad tracks. New vehicles (trains, cars, maybe at some point planes) drive out of that assembly building when they're done, and then cannot be mined.

Then, there could be more such big items, like space rockets, radioactive waste etc. that need to be transported by special trains. they are lifted out of the assembly hall by a special giant inserter and put onto the train.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Bleda wrote: I think it could add fun to the game to have certain big, non-placeable, high end objects, that need a special kind of assembly line and a special way of transportation. There could be a vehicle assembly building, with connection to railroad tracks. New vehicles (trains, cars, maybe at some point planes) drive out of that assembly building when they're done, and then cannot be mined.
We planned it this way in the start, and then it was just stripped because we had too many of other issues, but having something that works like this might appear in the future.

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

Bleda wrote:In the case of vehicles, the current situation is somewhat absurd, since you can eather put the charcter inside the vehicle, or the vehicle inside the character.

I think it could add fun to the game to have certain big, non-placeable, high end objects, that need a special kind of assembly line and a special way of transportation. There could be a vehicle assembly building, with connection to railroad tracks. New vehicles (trains, cars, maybe at some point planes) drive out of that assembly building when they're done, and then cannot be mined.
Lukasecicek wrote:I look forward to versions, where player is not able to construct everything in his bare hands, only the basic stuff. But for the bigger things, there should even be a restriction in carrying those things - for example no cars and trains in pockets :)
How about assembly machines that need to be connected with rails for the train to come out, or connected with inserter to some "train depot" where the train can be deployed. This should make players need to think ahead of where the stuff is built, because logistics of big stuff should be a big thing.

There should arise new questions in the game like "Oooh yeah now i crafted X... but how the hell i get it to the place where i want it?" and "Maybe delivering crude materials and making the assembly of X somewhere else could be a better idea" (X can be any big thing you dont normally stack in thousands in your pockets)
(imho stacks of already built items should be lowered - turrets, rails, assembly machines, etc...)
I like the ideas, Maybe a "hangar" or "garage" where you put the parts (manually or by any other logistic waY) and then ENTER INTO THE BUILDING, you would be released inside the car... then the car can be left anywhere, but NOT PICKED UP AGAIN.
In the meantime Maybe also allow only 1 car in the whole inventory, because what bothers me more about cars is the fact you can have LOTS, and i don't think it's fair to have 10 cars inm the inv when attacking, so that if your car gets destroyed, you put anotherone and keep attacking. This is a little bit overpowered for my taste.
The RAILROAD DEPOT also would make a great addition. BUT! if you f****d up, i think you should be able to move that depot wherever you want it. Everything is movable in factorio, why not the depots? :)

It would be cool to have trains and cars as "BIG PROJECTS", and make them NOT FIT IN A CHEST, but in a "garage", like fluids on the Big Liquid Tanks. You can have up to X cars or Locomotives or waggons. Even better, make this items only repairable in those "Garages", so if your car gets damaged, you can't just run a little bit from bitters, get off car, repair it, enter again and keep busting bitters... (or picking up a car and building another one compleatly fixed from your inventory).

I LOVE the idea, but I also think it is NOT A PRIORITY. Maybe for another later version, there are other things that require more inmediate attention :)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

kovarex wrote:Hello,
we have been discussing the idea that rails + car wouldn't have the item representation at all already and we like it.
As you said, the assembling machine with rail connection (depo), that would make the train vehicles inside would make sense and add something, but there are currently bigger problems to be solved in upcoming versions.
Nice to hear that you take it into consideration.

I see that you guys take a lot of inspiration from Transport Tycoon (Deluxe)/TTDPatch/OpenTTD, however, in those games depots take up one measly square due to old world engine limitations - in this case I would recommend against this and force the player to build longer depots to construct longer trains, or give them a choice to build each vehicle separately, one after another.

Or even better, have special "construction inserters," a sort of robotic arm that picks up pre-fabricated "vehicle parts" and places them onto rails, fabricating a vehicle on the spot, rapidly welding the parts onto it. The first part spawns the first vehicle construction sprite (it's frame) and the more parts get added to it by construction inserters, the more complete it gets by swapping sprites - sort of like town building construction in TTD.

I hope I made clear what I mean.

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

Hmmmm shouldn't be that hard to mod a new assembler, and when the item is made instead of making an item make an entity at x: coordinates. Or am I overestimating lua/factorio engine?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”