"Not enough construction robots" alert should be silent

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

"Not enough construction robots" alert should be silent

Post by Align »

It's nice that the "turrets engaged with enemy" alert doesn't cause any sound since it's not something that needs immediate attention, compared to structures taking damage (which stops needing your attention once you have construction bots but I digress). Construction robots not having the necessary materials is something that usually needs more immediate attention, so it makes sense for that alert to be audible, but "not enough robots" typically resolves itself after a while, so while it's good to have the notification on screen, it doesn't need to be audible.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: "Not enough construction robots" alert should be silent

Post by Ghoulish »

I agree. I'm sure that at some point they'll look at the current alert system and modify it. I'd like to add to this and mention that for me the alert-damage sound is excessive and not necessarily needed (I appreciate it is of benefit to new players). Depending on how you build a base, it's possible to be under near constant attack, I don't need to be alerted to this fact 24/7, it's the same issue as the OP frankly. So either an option to not have an auditory notification, or some sort of code throttling to limit the times it would trigger would be great.

Align, you can change this sound yourself, as an interim solution should you wish: Go to your factorio install directory, and open the data then core folder, the file you want is alert-construction.ogg You could replace this with a short, silent audio file in .ogg format.

Edit: I don't know if just deleting it would be good, might throw lots of errors and impact performance somehow?
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

How do you want to distinct between both situations (not enough items vs. not enough bots? Think also to situations, where the bots are just waiting to recharge). Do you think you can distinct that automatically?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

ssilk wrote:How do you want to distinct between both situations (not enough items vs. not enough bots? Think also to situations, where the bots are just waiting to recharge). Do you think you can distinct that automatically?
You do realize that the game already does that?
The little yellow info box already distinguishes between "needs more bots" and "needs more items".

So this question is moot as it is already distinguished in the game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, I didn't realize it. :oops: Reason: I always have too less items. :lol:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”