Access Catwalks / Tunnels

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

shadowknight619
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Access Catwalks / Tunnels

Post by shadowknight619 »

Abstract: A semi-transparent walkway that allows the player to walk over (or under) their existing machinery without needing to go all the way around. This would improve accessibility much as the Underground Pipe / Underground Belt do to keep obstructions out of the way of the player. However, unlike the existing underground pipes / belts, these accessibility features need not contribute to a more compact factory layout; they only need to make it easier to get around the factory for the player.

I frequently find myself having to walk around my factories in convoluted pathways to avoid buildings, conveyor belts and piping. I would love to be able to construct something that would let me bypass the solid obstructions around my factory, like a land bridge. But of course, I still want to see what's going on underneath the bridge! So I often find myself wanting some sort of wire mesh catwalk that would let me see what's going on underneath it, but also let me quickly traverse parts of my factory that would normally require walking all the way around. It would also be great to have convenient maintenance access to parts of the factory that are relatively isolated due to blockage from the surrounding structures - so it would be possible to place and maintain machinery from the access catwalk too.

Or, if it's more balanced / realistic to not maintain machinery from the catwalk, maybe the catwalk doesn't allow maintenance of machinery, but a more-advanced or more-costly access tunnel does. In that case, entering the access tunnel could trigger an augmented viewpoint where the underground tunnels (and the player, moving around in them) are overlaid on the view from above, even if it were as simple as (for example) silhouette lines on the boundary of the tunnel and an outline of the player character. And, though I think it might not be simple from an animation / development perspective, it would be nice if those tunnels would also show me what's going on with the underground sections of the underground belt / pipe machines that are already in the game on the top layer, but that's not a core feature of this concept.

So yeah - it would be nice to be able to bypass solid machines and fast-moving conveyors while traversing the factory, while still being able to see what they're doing. I already use underground pipes and belts to accomplish this effect partially but I believe there is potential for a less-powerful, less-costly solution that is designed only to enable the player to get around (but not to enhance production.)Thematically, I think it makes sense to do this as an overhead, wire mesh catwalk or else maybe an underground maintenance tunnel.

Edited to acknowledge that ssilk's Advanced Search-fu revealed a lot more catwalk-related posts and this is mostly a redundant topic given the presence of mods that accomplish most of the requested features...but add my voice to those asking for convenient traversal methods over buildings and above-ground pipes and conveyors in the vanilla game ;)
Last edited by shadowknight619 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Access Catwalks / Tunnels

Post by Hexicube »

Maybe there could be two variants; a short-range (5 tiles) catwalk that only has a single block of access ramp, and a long-range (30 tiles) that needs two or even three blocks of access ramp. The latter would obviously be more expensive compared to an equivalent distance for short-range ramps and would be less applicable, but would free up more space.

I'm all for catwalks, provided biters can use them too. I can't imagine a simple "tile A only leads to tile B" override being much of a hassle for pathfinding...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It would be useful to search for the terms first:
search.php?keywords=catwalk+tunnel&term ... mit=Search

And there is also this:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21378 footbridges
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hexicube »

ssilk wrote:It would be useful to search for the terms first:
search.php?keywords=catwalk+tunnel&term ... mit=Search

And there is also this:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21378 footbridges
I think the topic is perfectly valid. The other linked topic has the same search link, and in the search I only found a request from 2014 and a mod that isn't quite as smooth as it should be.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”