Stack size bonus for construction robots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Stack size bonus for construction robots

Post by ske »

Right now, logistic robots are asymmetrically advantaged compared to construction robots in regard to stack size bonus. Construction entities such as construction robots* could get a considerable performance boost by being able to use a stack of one item type. This would speed up building and deconstruction especially with the personal roboport. In turn, the personal roboport could be downsized a bit e.g. from 10 to 4 robots which would make it a bit more realistic.

*: I'm really thinking of the spidertron, imagine it could use a full stack of walls or laser turrets and run with it placing down a hundred items in a row. Or it could tear down a forest by picking trees out with its many strong arms.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Stack size bonus for construction robots

Post by ssilk »

Think this is similar: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16501 Concrete stacks way too low.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Part of the issue is in the programming too. my mod adds higher grade construction robots with more carrying capacity, yet they still only bring one item at a time.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Construction bot stack size

Post by Harkonnen604 »

merged with existing suggestion
-- daniel34

It would be useful for construction bots to have stack size applied on number of items they carry (same type of items). This is partially important for belts/walls. And extremely important for concrete paving.
P.S: I don't mean stack size for dismantling crates/belts when construction bots act as logistics bots. I mean solar panels and other stuff they carry to place somewhere.
P.P.S: To increase construction bot value this stack size may apply only to light items - i.e. 1x1 tile.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That's something we've wanted to do but it's not a simple switch that can be flipped. Robots are only capable of taking on 1 job at a time right now. So, if you gave a construction robot a stack of something and told it to "go" you can only ever tell it to "go" do one thing.

Perhaps in 0.14 we'll re-work robots so they can have multiple jobs given to them and they work towards them 1 at a time using the materials they have available.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this is drectly related to path-optimization stuff.

See viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093 Roboport/Logistic Network/Robot enhancements

--> Handling of Robot-Routing / Pathing
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

XBBX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XBBX »

Maby it would be possible to give another job to robots not after they come back to you but after fist one is done?

Cobaltur
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cobaltur »

Rseding91 wrote:That's something we've wanted to do but it's not a simple switch that can be flipped. Robots are only capable of taking on 1 job at a time right now. So, if you gave a construction robot a stack of something and told it to "go" you can only ever tell it to "go" do one thing.

Perhaps in 0.14 we'll re-work robots so they can have multiple jobs given to them and they work towards them 1 at a time using the materials they have available.
It would be cool if at least building "tiles" would benefit from teh bonus.

To simpilfy pathfinding aquire the first tile (I love the randomness and how it builds) and just look at the neigbors and reserve them. If there none then only one is build.
In vanilla this could be a 2x2 field.

Otherwise correct the descritption of tech "cargo size" -- remove "and construction bots"

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”