Assembly Machines should emit combinator values

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Andir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Assembly Machines should emit combinator values

Post by Andir »

Hooking a wire up to a assembly machine should emit a value for each item it contains in its inventory.

Let's say that you have an iron gear wheel assembly machine. You connect a wire and it emits "0 iron plate, 0 iron gear wheel". If I feed it 2 plates it will emit "2 iron plate, 0 iron gear wheel" while it begins the manufacture process. When done making the gear wheel it will emit "0 iron plate, 1 iron gear wheel". This way we can do simple math on a series of connected assemblers to determine supply/demand. It also allows us to hook up smart inserters to only feed if iron plates < 2 (or 4, 6... if we want a bit of cache built up).

This essentially makes assemblers a variable combinator that emits their product which we can wire together to make smarter lines.

Edit: proper names...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Assembly Machines should emit combinator values

Post by bobingabout »

I am fairly sure that this is already in the works for the next major release (0.13.x series).
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Andir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Andir »

Ugh... waiting for 0.13 is killing me!! :lol:

Nicksaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nicksaurus »

bobingabout wrote:I am fairly sure that this is already in the works for the next major release (0.13.x series).
This release is going to be so good...

Andir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Andir »

I'm sorry if necroing a post is frowned upon, but I tried doing this again in 0.15.2 and it's still not an option to hook a wire up to the assembly machine.

Though after reading my previous request, I think it would be beneficial to implement it more like the roboport where multiple signals are dispatched or a "mode" could be selected to output the required material, items waiting to be removed, and/or a state of it's processing (0 = idle, 1 = processing)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Yes, I also miss this feature a lot. Right now, I have to always count the number of items entering the assembler and leaving it again, in order to determine its current state and inventory. This requires a rather complex combinator setup. It would be more meaningful if it were possible to simply hook up the assembler to the circuit network.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

+1 to hook all assemblers, chem plants, centrifuge ect to the circuit network to output their contents

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

+1
and also turn on/off
I dont Think the change recepie mode will work that well, it was discussed in some other post that i dont remember :oops:

nemostein
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nemostein »

Not being able to read contents from Assembling Machines bugged me a lot in the beginning, but I grew used to it and noticed that you don't need this information on most cases.
It'd be really nice to have such feature, though...
"I'd say the main bottleneck is sleep." - AndrewIRL

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”