End-game mech

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

masterm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

End-game mech

Post by masterm »

There is a problem with destroing big alien bases or with destroing them in end-game. The solution is adding a mech like that in Avatar movie: Image
This mech will have equipment window like power armour and similar equipment to use in it.
A list of things that may be used in:
-portable fusion reactor (mech needs energy, doesn't it?)
-two controllable weapons
~mech machine gun
~tank-like canon
-secondary, uncontrollable weapon: missle launcher
-two types of armour:
~breakable steel armour
~rechargeable energy schield
-personal roboport
-night vision

Now how it will work:
1.Portable fusion reactor: gives energy, I think it is clear.
2.Weapons: mech can hold two controllable, main weapons: two same or one of each type. There is also place for one uncontrollable weapon: missle launcher that works symilar to personal laser defense, but shoots four times and then it reloads for five seconds.
3.Steel armour gifes us 200 hp but when hp of one module decreases to 0 it gets destroyed and it can't be repaired. When hp of energy schielde decreses to 0 it has to be recharged. It cant be destroyed.
4.Personal roboport is needed for logistic robots witch repair our mech.

Write in comments what do you think about that idea.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: End-game mech

Post by Marconos »

It's kind what power armor is already ... could be a graphics update but the current power armor is already super good in late game.

Bojan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bojan »

I love this idea.

But a oldschool mech would be still cooler.

With modular weapons at each arm and a basic shoulder mounted machine gun. Bigger and stronger than the tank ... still slower ... but never mind :D

Everybody need one... to defend large hives in endgame.

greetings

Pappus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pappus »

The OP is right that killing big lategame bases is only tedious. Running circles killing the spawners, then bring it all back to laser battery or hold space even longer and go through several hundred shotgun ammunition.

The tank is good and it is fun attacking with it until it becomes ineffective so the upgradeable mech sounds ideal to me and the power armor the player wears isn't really a solution, because actually there would be no way to even stand and fight without it and creeping with turrets like a madman.

The power armor right now is our defensive so we still lack a good offensive tool. Doesn'T have to be a mech could also simply be a rocket you slam on them from your base.

Bojan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bojan »

You are completely right,

but in my opinion a mech would be more fun than a rocket where you have only to push one button for killing huge enemy bases.

At this moment we have just two vehicles, the tank is to use halfway for endgame.... its very upgradable.

I'm curious whether and what's next...

Sorry for my beginner's English ;)

masterm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by masterm »

Maybe any moderator can say something about that?

Kolamar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kolamar »

Is good. More vehicles good. Very good.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

masterm wrote:Maybe any moderator can say something about that?
Actually, when it comes to suggestions and opinions, moderators are neither more nor less valid than any other contributor to the topic. It's true most moderators have been knowing Factorio for a long time, so we "know" if a suggestion is common or not, but that's about all.
I know it is doable to have a mech, since there is at least one mod that adds one.
Do I think the concept should make it to vanilla ? No, I can't really decide myself.

On one hand, mecs are terribly cool and badass. And everybody loves badassitude, so hell yeah, huge mech wrecking havoc amongst biters, worms and nests seems cool. But on the other hand, Factorio is about automation, and going in the mech direction is just another offensive vehicle. after that, decimating nests will become even more trivial, so people will ask for bigger ennemies, and it's an endless loop.
Now if the devs take the direction of automating the extermination of the biters ... what will be the interest of the game ? Triumph without peril brings no glory.

So I can't decide myself if I want mechs or not. Really depends on what the devs have in mind concerning endgame content combat wise. Knowing that 0.13 will at least partially overhawl combat, I think it's prematutare to make myself an opinion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

I was thinking of the same thing! It seems like a great idea that would fit well with the rest of the game.
See also: Spidertron :)
Currently it's only in planning and I don't know if it will be weaponised, but it seems like a great choice for an endgame mech.

TalDoMula777
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TalDoMula777 »

I would like a mech from Pacific Rim movie or War Robots game...damn son where did you find this :twisted:

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

fyi you can script the tank gun into your hand and use it there, pretty fun when also cranking up attackspeed mod xD - protip: also works with artgun but thats overload

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

Turret creep with artillery is the current pinnacle of automated termination. If you count your time as resource (and you certainly should, it is less replaceable than anything else), not dealing with the biters and just hammer them with a 28,3cm/L76 is the most efficient way.
Alas, this is a game, so (ethics aside, but we left them in space I presume) having a MadCat(not possible due to copyright issues) spidertron with a built-in rocket launcher can be a nice distraction for the player. Inefficient, certainly not automated (and therefore rather "wrong" in the context of the game), but none the less desirable.

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

Artillery is a pretty good mechanism for automated death. Load up a few cannons around the walls of your base and you'll never need to clear out territory manually again.

Ikonos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ikonos »

What I would add:

1.Customization. Not only weapons, but increased armor plates, better motors for speed, shields... basically what can be placed on a modular armor and something more.
2. Remote control. Maybe an optional module for remote control. You select the mech from map view and control it.
3. Sizes: XL, XXL and XXXL.
4. New bigger enemies, like in pacific rim, with different sizes (XL, XXL, XXXL and 4XL). Enemies almost inmune to turret damage and destroy walls just by walking on them.
5. Bigger walls, just as an option for smaller bigger enemies.
6. Some common sense spawning bigger enemies.
7. You need to have some mechs in all parts of your factory with remote control to be able to deal with this enemies quickly.

IceRain
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by IceRain »

Ikonos wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:38 pm
What I would add:

1.Customization. Not only weapons, but increased armor plates, better motors for speed, shields... basically what can be placed on a modular armor and something more.
2. Remote control. Maybe an optional module for remote control. You select the mech from map view and control it.
3. Sizes: XL, XXL and XXXL.
4. New bigger enemies, like in pacific rim, with different sizes (XL, XXL, XXXL and 4XL). Enemies almost inmune to turret damage and destroy walls just by walking on them.
5. Bigger walls, just as an option for smaller bigger enemies.
6. Some common sense spawning bigger enemies.
7. You need to have some mechs in all parts of your factory with remote control to be able to deal with this enemies quickly.
I think that will be annoying to look all around the map just killing those big invincible enemy.
I prefer some automated solution for everything, just do what i want to do in late game.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

theolderbeholder wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 pm
spidertron with a built-in rocket launcher can be a nice distraction for the player
All vehicles have different roles and move types:
  • Car for fast search, move on wheels
  • Tank for war operations, move on caterpillars (can turn on place)
  • Train for automation, move on rails
  • Spiderton (even if not implemented) for move over unpassable (factory), move on long feet
If you want something for war on feet, look at modular armour with exoskeleton.

TalDoMula777
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TalDoMula777 »

If only i knew some programming shit... :cry: :( :|

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”