The opposite of rapid building...

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

The opposite of rapid building...

Post by JackGruff »

I know 0.9 isn't out yet but I anticipate wanting this :)

Blue-prints are going to give us a way to build very quickly. But right now, mining your own buildings (especially walls!) is slow when you have many you would like to clear.

The suggestion is to make construction bots capable of mining. NOT mining ores, but mining buildings. Others have mentioned new bots being able to do this but I think it would be a natural extension to our current construction bots, you also don't need new art assets ;)

Ok, so I think how it would work in the game would be very simple and I am basing it off what is said in Friday Facts #16.

When the user is selecting an area to be put in a blueprint (like was shown in that screenshot in Friday Facts #16), he/she instead holds a modifier key (shift, control or alt). Instead of the entities being put into the blueprint, they are marked for mining! Each available construction bot would then mine an entity and bring it to the player. They would have a one item slot reserved just for this ability (like how they are able to carry one repair pack at a time). Edit: forgot to say, the mining can increase the energy the bot uses, meaning it has to recharge more at the port, thus making this functionality non-free to the player.

Now, if they player holds two modifier keys, then not only are the buildings marked for mining, but they are added to the blueprint anyway. This would make moving many buildings a snap!

Things may have changed since you guys showed us blueprints in Friday Facts #16, but I hope this gives you a general idea of what I want.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The opposite of rapid building...

Post by ficolas »

I think there will be deconstruction robots I think I have readed it somewhere

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

They have mentioned it and it's just logic: if you want to build something, the area must be free, so anything you might need for that is an "empty blueprint". That would clean up everything. From the development sight, the empty blueprint is just a special case. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Yep, there will be the "delete blueprint item" that allows you to select an area for destruction. The construction robots will come, move the contents of inventories ot the storage system and then deconstruct the buildings (hmmm is the tree a building? :)).

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

slpwnd wrote:Yep, there will be the "delete blueprint item" that allows you to select an area for destruction. The construction robots will come, move the contents of inventories ot the storage system and then deconstruct the buildings (hmmm is the tree a building? :)).
What do you think of some sort of harvester robot for those kind of things like trees and small resource patches? A lot more expensive than simply miners and belt, but more convenient :)

Pandamonium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pandamonium »

[quote="slpwnd"]The construction robots will come, move the contents of inventories ot the storage system and then deconstruct the buildings [quote]

Hmm... Does that mean the "recipe" for roboports should change?
I mean adding some crates into the mix, then giving each roboport some attached storage for anything they end up having picked up?

This could always be an upgraded version of Roboport, e.g. Roboport 2
Which then also allows for larger footprint giving more space for "charging arms" etc..

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Pandamonium wrote:
slpwnd wrote:The construction robots will come, move the contents of inventories ot the storage system and then deconstruct the buildings

Hmm... Does that mean the "recipe" for roboports should change?
I mean adding some crates into the mix, then giving each roboport some attached storage for anything they end up having picked up?

This could always be an upgraded version of Roboport, e.g. Roboport 2
Which then also allows for larger footprint giving more space for "charging arms" etc..
Anything that the construction robots pickup will be brought back to the logistic storage chests.
BurnHard wrote:What do you think of some sort of harvester robot for those kind of things like trees and small resource patches? A lot more expensive than simply miners and belt, but more convenient
This will not happen in the 0.9 but it is something that is now rather easy to do in the framework and we will consider it for the future (namely for the trees, because their production can't be automated).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”