Just consider this for a second ARTILLERY

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ProphetofEden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Just consider this for a second ARTILLERY

Post by ProphetofEden »

BUILDING ARTILLERY turrets that work with spotting turrets to designate artillery strike zones, modern day military uses laser designation to call in artillery strikes, then you can control the usage of your artillery ammunition by designating how many shell each gun with shoot before they wait for a new designation, also different varieties of shells such as impact, explosive, incendiary, maybe even phosphorus shell. sorry if this post is lacking i dont normally join forums but this game captured me

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Just consider this for a second ARTILLERY

Post by kiba »

ProphetofEden wrote:BUILDING ARTILLERY turrets that work with spotting turrets to designate artillery strike zones, modern day military uses laser designation to call in artillery strikes, then you can control the usage of your artillery ammunition by designating how many shell each gun with shoot before they wait for a new designation, also different varieties of shells such as impact, explosive, incendiary, maybe even phosphorus shell. sorry if this post is lacking i dont normally join forums but this game captured me
I was thinking of writing such a mod, except with rockets.

If I ever complete the core concept, I might extend the concept to strike fighters or bombers.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The supreme warefare mod is a bit similar to this. You should take a look at it. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

ssilk wrote:The supreme warefare mod is a bit similar to this. You should take a look at it. :)
Last time I played that mod, it doesn't really act like a indirect weapon system as indicated by the suggestion.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_fire

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

But it could, if you increased the range of the buoy you need to place. Or change the setting so, that it fires at every target in range.

BTW (and off-topic): Did you know, that the maximum fire range of any weapon is only 1000 tiles? It's a hard limit in the game engine. It explodes then at 1000 tiles. That behavior becomes very unhandy, if you have several artillery placed on your map and then place a buoy which is for example 800 tiles away from the first artillery, but 1100 away from the second. The first artillery fires, destroy the target, the second artillery fires too, but sadly you first artillery is exactly at the 1000 tiles limit... and boooomm there was an artillery. :)

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

ssilk wrote:But it could, if you increased the range of the buoy you need to place. Or change the setting so, that it fires at every target in range.

BTW (and off-topic): Did you know, that the maximum fire range of any weapon is only 1000 tiles? It's a hard limit in the game engine. It explodes then at 1000 tiles. That behavior becomes very unhandy, if you have several artillery placed on your map and then place a buoy which is for example 800 tiles away from the first artillery, but 1100 away from the second. The first artillery fires, destroy the target, the second artillery fires too, but sadly you first artillery is exactly at the 1000 tiles limit... and boooomm there was an artillery. :)
And this is where hacking/modding comes in.

:x :)

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

I've been considering making an artillery mod that can function in a similar fashion to my Orbital Ion Cannon mod, in that you grab a targeting device and designate a target for your artillery pieces to fire on. Essentially it'd be a lower-tech version of the ion cannon that is subject to range and accuracy limitations and uses consumable ammunition. Although for added flair, I'm considering railroad artillery so your guns can be mobile. :)

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Supercheese wrote:I've been considering making an artillery mod that can function in a similar fashion to my Orbital Ion Cannon mod, in that you grab a targeting device and designate a target for your artillery pieces to fire on. Essentially it'd be a lower-tech version of the ion cannon that is subject to range and accuracy limitations and uses consumable ammunition. Although for added flair, I'm considering railroad artillery so your guns can be mobile. :)
A nice comparison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_ar ... _artillery

Gun artillery are much faster and more accurate than rockets, as well being less bulky and cheaper than rockets.

For the game, gun artillery would be with the shortest range and the best rate of fire.

Rockets would be in the medium range with a much lower rate of fire.

Finally, your ion cannon would be the most powerful but used only on some occasion.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Supercheese wrote:I've been considering making an artillery mod that can function in a similar fashion to my Orbital Ion Cannon mod, in that you grab a targeting device and designate a target for your artillery pieces to fire on. Essentially it'd be a lower-tech version of the ion cannon that is subject to range and accuracy limitations and uses consumable ammunition. Although for added flair, I'm considering railroad artillery so your guns can be mobile. :)
This is nice to hear.

In my opinion I think Artillery as described is very sexy for some game-hours. Target the enemy, fire the buoy or target laser or whatever and then run. :)

For some hours, cause at some point this get's tiring. It sounds rough, but I want to destroy automatically any non-moving (or very slow moving) enemy on my map.
Therefore we need a device that scans for targets automatically. :)

ProphetofEden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ProphetofEden »

ssilk wrote:
This is nice to hear.

In my opinion I think Artillery as described is very sexy for some game-hours. Target the enemy, fire the buoy or target laser or whatever and then run. :)

For some hours, cause at some point this get's tiring. It sounds rough, but I want to destroy automatically any non-moving (or very slow moving) enemy on my map.
Therefore we need a device that scans for targets automatically. :)
thats what i was thinking if you used something like a spotting turret or the radar system it would designate zones to strike

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, a "radar tower", that creates coordinates of the nearest enemy and any artillery in range of this target fires onto that point. The range of this could be really big.

CPU-usage of that system is quite low compared to semi-intelligent self-targeting artillery cannons (like in supreme warfare),

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

ssilk wrote:Yes, a "radar tower", that creates coordinates of the nearest enemy and any artillery in range of this target fires onto that point. The range of this could be really big.

CPU-usage of that system is quite low compared to semi-intelligent self-targeting artillery cannons (like in supreme warfare),
I agree, that sounds like the way to go for an artillery mod.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I just think a bit more, cause I played with Supreme Warefare now very much.

In the first tier, we can have some kind of buoy. You need to lay it somewhere and artillery tries to fire at this point. That's exactly how SW works.

The next tier could be to increase the range for laying the buoy. But there is not really a need for that, that tier works just exactly as ion-cannon-mod plus satellite mod.
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=17910 and viewtopic.php?f=97&t=19883

The next tier is then the development of the radar, which does then the aiming instead of the player.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”