Oil Tank Explosion!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jacob021302
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Oil Tank Explosion!

Post by jacob021302 »

Just a simple idea that when oil tanks are shot or destroyed they make a big fiery explosion. I know that some machines make a small explosion when destroyed but if an oil tank was destroyed it could do the same damage as about 3 or so grenades. The explosion size might be determined on how much oil is in the tank. This doesn't just apply for oil tanks, but other liquids(light oil, heavy oil, etc.) too.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Oil Tank Explosion!

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but that is probably a lot of work.
Don't forget you can also store non-volatile fluids in there too, such as Water, so there'll probably need tags adding to the fluids to say how they're handled.
And then you would probably see smaller explosions on pipes too.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

There should at least be SOME effect when a broken tank spills. Watching 2500 oil go POOF is pretty lame.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

I wonder if when an entity is destroyed, in this case a tank. Can still be accessed to check how much oil there is in it. If so then creating some sort of explosion wouldn't be that bad. Also it would make it so that one would be a little bit more careful and not go like so: "Hey those pipes are blocking my way! Il just remove some of the pipse, then il replace them again". Instead one would need to use more pumps and control them to empty the pipe :D!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Overread
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Overread »

I like the idea that a full oil storage tank could explode in proportion to the amount of oil stored within - adds a new idea to having to store oil away from the main base and also heavily defend it (esp if its set rather like radar in that it attracts growth and attacks).

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

'Random' Explosions? Sure! I am all for this idea.

Something to add- An explosion from a tank should be powerful enough to trigger another explosion from neighboring tanks, causing massive damage to your oil processing area.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

bobingabout wrote:I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but that is probably a lot of work.
Don't forget you can also store non-volatile fluids in there too, such as Water, so there'll probably need tags adding to the fluids to say how they're handled.
The volatility of the fluids in a tank is easy from a programming perspective.

However you'd probably not want chain-reactions from pipes exploding... and it's more natural that the pipes of gas / etc burn as a torch, so make it instead drain the fluids in the reverse direction. Might have a heat component to each item that would make a pipe explode after reaching a critical level, however that is probably not worth the effort atm.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Rakshasa wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but that is probably a lot of work.

However you'd probably not want chain-reactions from pipes exploding... and it's more natural that the pipes of gas / etc burn as a torch, so make it instead drain the fluids in the reverse direction. Might have a heat component to each item that would make a pipe explode after reaching a critical level, however that is probably not worth the effort atm.
And the gameplay value of having your entire oil setup going up in smoke (literally) from a single biter chewing the wrong thing is questionable

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

ratchetfreak wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:

And the gameplay value of having your entire oil setup going up in smoke (literally) from a single biter chewing the wrong thing is questionable
It would of course not be totally destroyed, but depending on your security measures you could loose a fair bit of oil ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”