Allow modders to add more controls and change existing ones

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Allow modders to add more controls and change existing ones

Post by Twisted_Code »

As a quadriplegic, there are times I find the current key/controlbinding choices too limiting, even as flexible as they are. In particular, concrete placement is slow and tedious because I can't, with my injury, click & drag the right mouse button (I have the LMB & RMB swapped to be like Minecraft). Sure I could switch them back (although this would take some retraining) or use a blueprint (which takes electricity, possibly that of my modular), but that's not the point. If the game is intended to be mod-able, you should go all the way.
This feature request itself is simple: Among other things, modders should be able to do things like add a new customizable control (like the existing ones) to the key binding GUI. Modders should also be able to modify existing controls to branch off into a callback depending on a condition such as what item the player is holding. Take my problem with concrete as instance to understand that second major point.
Last edited by Twisted_Code on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Allow modders to add more controls and change existing ones

Post by mngrif »

I have it on good authority that this feature is coming Soon(TM). Bonus points: allow joystick mappings.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Valkor wrote:I have it on good authority that this feature is coming Soon(TM). Bonus points: allow joystick mappings.
Crazy people with controllers and now joysticks!? What kind of game are you guys playing? It's surely not Factorio which requires fine-tuned positioning of the mouse :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

Valkor wrote:I have it on good authority that this feature is coming Soon(TM). Bonus points: allow joystick mappings.
well that's good to know, but would you mind sharing your source? It's not that I don't believe you — really I do — I just like having a truly authoritative source I can cite.
Also, not that I changed much, but you may want to reread my opening post, as I did some last-minute editing when I realized how not-so-clear my original post was.
Last edited by Twisted_Code on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

Rseding91 wrote:
Crazy people with controllers and now joysticks!? What kind of game are you guys playing? It's surely not Factorio which requires fine-tuned positioning of the mouse :P
my best guess to explain this is that people like having one controlbinding set to rule them all, one set to find them, one set to bring them all, and in the darkness— whoops, wrong script! Anyway, I'm sure you can understand what I'm saying.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Doesn't quadriplegic mean you are without the use of both arms and both legs? Somehow, I doubt a quadriplegic would be using a computer, much less playing games on it. I'm not saying you're not disabled, or injured, I'm just not sure if you're using the correct term. Feel free to educate me.

putting that technicallity aside... I've had limited experience trying to change the controls of the game, I know they are somewhat limited, untill recently, they didn't even allow me to use all keys on my keyboard when remapping, and I'm using a standard UK keyboard. I would welcome more customisabillity.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I would love gamepad support, and multiple keys to be binded to the same action(eg. Both e and the 4th button on my mouse can open the Invintory)
Last edited by TuckJohn on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

bobingabout wrote:sn't quadriplegic mean you are without the use of both arms and both legs? Somehow, I doubt a quadriplegic would be using a computer, much less playing games on it. I'm not saying you're not disabled, or injured, I'm just not sure if you're using the correct term. Feel free to educate me.
It actually depends on extent of damage. Some quadriplegic can move around normally as if they have no injury at all.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

bobingabout wrote:Doesn't quadriplegic mean you are without the use of both arms and both legs? Somehow, I doubt a quadriplegic would be using a computer, much less playing games on it. I'm not saying you're not disabled, or injured, I'm just not sure if you're using the correct term. Feel free to educate me.
my diagnosis is quadriplegia (resulting from a consecutive blowout of C6-C7 vertebrae), but I can still use my arms. Fine motor control is another matter, however. In order to do anything besides control the mouse, I have to rely on things like the on-screen keyboard and Dragon NaturallySpeaking (speech to text & voice control software)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Twisted_Code wrote:
well that's good to know, but would you mind sharing your source? It's not that I don't believe you — really I do — I just like having a truly authoritative source I can cite.
Also, not that I changed much, but you may want to reread my opening post, as I did some last-minute editing when I realized how not-so-clear my original post was.
I'm can't promise anything but I've got some work-in-progress code to allow mods to create their own key bindings which would be user-changeable.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Rseding91 wrote:
Twisted_Code wrote:
I'm can't promise anything but I've got some work-in-progress code to allow mods to create their own key bindings which would be user-changeable.
oh no...I hope that modding factorio turns into trying to mod Minecraft...You need this this and this to run this mod, and this requires you to manually change to code here, here and here.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

TuckJohn wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
oh no...I hope that modding factorio turns into trying to mod Minecraft...You need this this and this to run this mod, and this requires you to manually change to code here, here and here.
Don't worry, Rseding91 is a dev so he's allowed to change the source code and then everyone will get the changes he makes on next release.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”