Cancel the in-process queue item last

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Cancel the in-process queue item last

Post by roy7 »

ssilk wrote:Perhaps I misunderstood you. But If you want to cancel from the end of your job-queue, why don't you just do it? :) Right click on the job you want to cancel... or is it because the queue is too long and you cannot reach the end? There are a lot suggestions about more control to the job queue.
Yeah we're talking past each other a bit. I'm talking about the in-process item currently being crafted, the one furthest on the left (at the front of the queue). The one you are already partially finished making. It takes 60 seconds to make, and you have 3 of them being made. It shows the icon for the item with a 3 on it. After 30 seconds, it is 50% complete. You decide you want to cancel one of them. So you right click on it. The icon with a 3 is now an icon with a 2. However, you aren't 50% finished on the first one you are making, now you are suddenly 0% finished. So the 30 seconds is wasted, and you spent another 60 seconds to make it. 90 seconds for a single item that should only take 60 seconds.
ssilk wrote:No, your suggestion is about canceling one item from the last job which is the same as canceling parts of jobs, which is - as explained - not possible to handle mathematically correctly. :)
Right, there's the confusion. I don't mean last job in the whole queue, I mean last item in the in-process stack at the front of the queue. The item you are working on right this second.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well. Perhaps it's too late. I make one more try. :)

So your suggestion is:

If the item in my next job of my crafting queue is the same type as the current, then deleting the first job should not loose the progress for the second.

Right?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

There's only one progress and it's for the item currently processed, the first item in the crafting queue.

Simple example:
You're crafting 2 of one item that takes 60 seconds each, and the crafting queue only has that one item because you have all the other subitems needed.
After 30 seconds of crafting, you decide you only need one of this item, so you cancel one.
What currently happens: there's one item left in the crafting queue, and it takes 60 seconds to craft because it restarts from 0% progress (was reset).
What is desired: one item is discarded, but the currently crafting item is still crafting, only taking 30 seconds to finish.

It's not about the crafting queue, it's just about the first item in it (the one currently crafting).
If you craft 2 and you cancel 1 in the middle of crafting, it has to start from scratch, even if it was almost finished.
It cancels the currently crafting one, not the one crafting next.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

ssilk wrote:Well. Perhaps it's too late. I make one more try. :)

So your suggestion is:

If the item in my next job of my crafting queue is the same type as the current, then deleting the first job should not loose the progress for the second.

Right?
Hmm. Possibly yeah. daniel34 I think answered fine. I think of it as one stack of items being made because visually it shows you one icon with a number on it for the # you are making. Queue up 20 of the same item, and if you have all of the ingrediants already made, it'll just say "20" on the icon. But if you work on the first one for a while and cancel, dropping to 19, you lose all the progress.

So yeah I guess I'm saying if you have multiple identical items in the queue all in a row, cancel the 2nd one not the 1st one when you right click it. Or overflow the progress meter to the 2nd one if it's the same item would give same result.

Regardless, it's my only complaint I can think of about this almost perfect game. ;)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

ssilk wrote:Hmja. The problem is more complex and already discussed a lot. In short: It could be used to cheat.

Say you want to bake a cake and need 3.5 eggs for it. But there are no 3.5 eggs, so you need to take always 4.

Now you want to bake 5 cakes. For that case you don't need to take 20, you need need only 17.5 eggs, because you can make all at once. So you take 18.

Now you change your mind, cancel one cake. You receive 3.5 eggs back. But that's not possible, so you get 4.
Now you change your mind, cancel one cake. You receive 3.5 eggs back. But that's not possible, so you get 4.

You give in 18 eggs, but received 20.

There is no way to make this correct working, so this will not come in this way. :) What we all are thinking about is to shift the crafting queue, have priorities, interrupt crafting for more important stuff.
Nonsense. No recipe in the game takes half an item. Closest comparison is Circuit taking 3 wires, and wires making 2. So, you tell it to make 10 circuits.
That requires 30 wires, so 15 sets will be made, and 10 circuits. So, you cancel one of the circuits immediately before anything had time to happen. As it is now, It might cancel one wire set as well, since you only need 27 now, which due to recipe granularity, rounds to 28, or 14 sets. After its done, you would have a wire left over.

But wait! You cancel another one. Now you have only 8 circuits queued, requiring 24 wires. That is 12 sets, meaning two of those circuit sets can be taken out.

No cheating, no item creation, nothing like that. You can't have a recipe use half an item, and you can already cancel any recipe with no loss as is.

-----
Say you want to bake a cake and need 3.5 eggs for it. But there are no 3.5 eggs, so you need to take always 4.\
<Error, Recipe cannot use fractional items>
Or, maybe it can. If it is like random output, meaning it takes 3 or 4 with 50% chance, then you could, if you wanted, gamble excessively and maybe get another egg, or lose one. Gamblers pitfall (or whatever that mathematical concept is called) ensures that you will eventually run out of eggs.
Or you could, on cancel, round down.

I don't really see how this can be considered a valid counter-example.
Edit:
Especially since the game already handles this fine, and it isn't even pointed at the request. That is, if you cancel, directly or indirectly, the first item in the queue, and it still has at least one set left to make, don't interrupt the progress... Circle.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ranakastrasz wrote: Nonsense. No recipe in the game takes half an item
Well it does. Create 5 electronic circuits (=cakes) and use copper plates for it (=eggs). Then it uses 1.5 copper plates for each electronic circuit.
If you make more than one item, then there are for many recipes different brutto- and netto-item-values.
...gamble excessively and maybe get another egg ... Or you could, on cancel, round down.
You can, but then the next players come and mark that as bug. ;)
If I don't see something, I try it out. :)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

ssilk wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote: Nonsense. No recipe in the game takes half an item
Well it does. Create 5 electronic circuits (=cakes) and use copper plates for it (=eggs). Then it uses 1.5 copper plates for each electronic circuit.
If you make more than one item, then there are for many recipes different brutto- and netto-item-values.
...gamble excessively and maybe get another egg ... Or you could, on cancel, round down.
You can, but then the next players come and mark that as bug. ;)
If I don't see something, I try it out. :)
Ah, well, If you were to imagine that the cake used 3.5 eggs, then you need to have an intemediary, (bowl of egg?) which produces 2 per egg. Cake then uses 7 bowl of egg.

Say you want to bake a cake and need 3.5 eggs for it. But there are no 3.5 eggs, so you need to take always 4.

----
Now you want to bake 5 cakes. For that case you don't need to take 20, you need need only 17.5 eggs, Specifically, you need 35 Egg Bowls, 36 due to set limitations
You queue up 5 cakes. The game realizes you don't have enough Egg bowls, but have the eggs. It inserts, in front of the cake, 18 sets of egg bowls.

Now you change your mind, cancel one cake. The game would cancel 3.5 egg bowl sets, but can only cancel 4. You have 14 Egg Bowls queued and 4 cakes. You get 4 eggs back.
Now you change your mind, cancel one cake. The game would cancel 3 egg bowl sets, because there would be a spare egg bowl left over. You have 11 Egg Bowls and 3 cakes queued.

Repeat 3 more times
You end up with one egg bowl Queued for some reason, even though you canceled all the cakes.

You give in 18 eggs, and get 17 out, because one of them doesn't cancel if you cancel all the cakes, and you have two extra egg bowls you can't use.

That all said, that is actually how it works in game.
-----
More importantly, that isn't the intent of the OP.

Simply stated, If the first Crafting node is partly canceled, manually or as a result of a later node being canceled, then the progress should not reset on that node.

In the Egg-Eggbowl-cake example, suppose eggbowls take 10 seconds to craft.

You craft 5 cakes
Wait 9 seconds
Cancel one cake
The egg bowl, with one second remaining, is canceled, and the next egg bowl takes the full 10 seconds.
Cancel all the cakes
The whole queue is cleared, except for one egg bowl for some reason, which you have to clear manually.

The Wanted behavior is this.

You craft 5 cakes
Wait 9 seconds
Cancel one cake
The egg bowl, with one second remaining, continues crafting, but the count of how many egg bowls must be crafted before it crafts cake is reduced by one.
Cancel all the cakes.
The whole queue is cleared, including that rogue egg bowl.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Oh, man. What did I begun here with this stupid comparison of cakes and eggs? I drunk red wine yesterday, eat some of my tomatoes and then read through the forum and found that comparison fun (I thought: a half egg is either the white or the yellow part :D ), but well, this morning it isn't anymore, I'm sorry. :)

To shorten this all up: I mean the whole crafting queue will get more love in the future. Perhaps in 0.14? Next year? I really don't know. But there is a big list of stuff, that will be worked into. And then they will find surely also this one (or perhaps someone (me?) has put it into a overview thread in frequently suggested) and hopefully they understand better than me :), what is meant. (no, I really understand what's meant, but think it's more complex, than just this; I won't discuss this anymore, because it's clear enough, what's wanted :) )

EDIT:

This is a potential list of threads about changes in the crafting queue:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... mit=Search

This is an article which tries to bring one aspect together:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 67&t=10222
Especially this post
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... eue#p79095

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

There's an interface improvements thread on reddit, the summary of what I mean in this thread is basically "if you are cancelling the under construction item, and the next item in the queue is the same item, cancel that item instead". So your partial construction progress isn't lost.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Link?

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

ssilk wrote:Link?
Sure. Here's the reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... nts_ideas/

Which is discussing this blog post:

http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2015/10/facto ... ideas.html

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

Thank you for making this change!

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

FactorioBot in Version 0.12.30 wrote:
  • Bufixes
    • Fixed that cancelling a recipe in the crafting queue would reset the crafting timer unnecessarily (22823).
Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :D
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

daniel34 wrote:
FactorioBot in Version 0.12.30 wrote:
  • Bufixes
    • Fixed that cancelling a recipe in the crafting queue would reset the crafting timer unnecessarily (22823).
Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :D
Thanks Daniel. :) Maybe I should have posted it as a bug report originally!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”