Epic: producing food

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ween
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Epic: producing food

Post by Ween »

I tried to look around, and I did not find any topic about that (I might have missed it).

The background of the game is about a person whose ship crashed on a planet and tries to survive, even though, there is no question about food and eating. I would have put it first on the list to do, find food and a shelter. Then, you build your big industry...

So, there comes my question, is there any plan to implement food and hunger in the game ?
---<@

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Food

Post by rymn »

N, not yet. I not sure if they plan on implementing hunger, but my guess would be no.

There was a discussion a whie back about the fish, they were used as a training exercise for someone but left in. You can eat them for health, not sure if they'll make it into the final game.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Food is being considered for sure.
It would fit into the story as well, you have to prepare the conditions for the earth colonisation fleet right?
So, the first ship with several millions of people arrives they thank you for making the defense that enabled them to land, take a tour around your huge factories etc.
When all the formalities and thanks are done, they will ask for the dinner, as their food storage on the ship just ran out, and you answer.
"Erm ... you know ... when I'm hungry, I get some fish and eat it. .... but I ate most of them already ... but I have a lots of coal, look .. " :)

Ween
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ween »

Furthermore, since we are on the food and all the culture stuff.

I read about the pollution topic (very interesting, if you have not read it yet, you should !!!). If I got i right, pollution would means drawback (like desease), but you could also make some culture to get some drugs !!!

Anyway, it is way ahead, but there are so many things you can do with industrial agriculture (even more pollution ;) )...
---<@

pajp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pajp »

Let's make baked fish after cooking it in Furnace!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It is really easy to create already by just manipulating the prototype definition files.
  • add new item, baked fish.
  • add icon for that
  • add furnace recipe.

NatLaTomate
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NatLaTomate »

I make it, it's really easy... Just that my picture is bad ^^

kwiz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kwiz »

Ween wrote:Furthermore, since we are on the food and all the culture stuff.

I read about the pollution topic (very interesting, if you have not read it yet, you should !!!). If I got i right, pollution would means drawback (like desease), but you could also make some culture to get some drugs !!!

Anyway, it is way ahead, but there are so many things you can do with industrial agriculture (even more pollution ;) )...
Agriculture would be a great way to soak up some of the map space, while providing ample opportunities to add tech while maintaining the balance of the current tech tree (make tractors useful for agriculture but not mining/manufacturing).

Ween
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ween »

kwiz wrote:Agriculture would be a great way to soak up some of the map space, while providing ample opportunities to add tech while maintaining the balance of the current tech tree (make tractors useful for agriculture but not mining/manufacturing).
You can even mix both trees...
---<@

Bigspanners
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bigspanners »

I think that hunger (if implemented) should be in the options before you start the game. Would let you focus on building if that’s all you want to do.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

epic: producing food

Post by ssilk »

Necroing. This belongs to the epic "producing food".

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=76&t=163
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

izawwlgood
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Epic: producing food

Post by izawwlgood »

Came to suggest this - there's a lot of potential for an agricultural industry, including mixing into oil production with biodiesel, building materials with bamboo, gas/liquid production (ethane -> various plastics), etc. My biggest thought was that currently pollution is presently a sort of unidirectional thing - as you expand, you produce pollution which pisses off the biters and makes them attack. But maybe you could also pursue some eco-friendly industries to offset your pollution, buying you more time or outright appeasing the biters, making them stay away. This all of course could be relevant for an end game 'keep the colonists happy' portion of the game.

Apos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apos »

Nutrition and food production imho really fit to Factorio story and gameplay. Imagine that as other mentioned you need to produce X amount of food and water to support colonists. It could be not that hard to implement because some game mechanics are already in:
- mining mechanics for farms, but add ability to create crop fields;
- assembling machines as food producing factories (like turning raw into eatable product and then canning it in other factory);

To make it more interesting:
- farms would require access to clean water (disinfection of water in chemical plants)
- farms located too close to polluted areas would generated less, way less yield so player would need to look for creating dedicated bases and networks for food and water production

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Apos wrote:Nutrition and food production imho really fit to Factorio story and gameplay. Imagine that as other mentioned you need to produce X amount of food and water to support colonists. It could be not that hard to implement because some game mechanics are already in:
- mining mechanics for farms, but add ability to create crop fields;
- assembling machines as food producing factories (like turning raw into eatable product and then canning it in other factory);

To make it more interesting:
- farms would require access to clean water (disinfection of water in chemical plants)
- farms located too close to polluted areas would generated less, way less yield so player would need to look for creating dedicated bases and networks for food and water production

To expand:

- Make fetilizer products in a production chain
- Food production chains increase nutritional yield, increase calorie density and stack size. USe other food products to make raw materials for more advanceds ones
> think, corn > corn oil > deep fryer > fries etc.
- waste products need recycling back into the food chain, corn husks, un digestible fibers.
- raise livestock which require raw food stuffs, leade to higher tier foods (bacon)
- biter raise on your chicken coops :[
- bakery systems,requires mixing of ingredients, piping to ovens and cooking.
- require culinary logistic items, oven trays, metal tongs, thermometers

- research more resistant crops, faster growing, more resilient
- protect crops from biters, along with food production (if biters smell cooking chicken, they'll come running)
- tame biters with food???

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”