Multiplayer

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Multiplayer

Post by azoundria »

Obviously, this is far off, but I think everyone would like to be able to build machines together with friends instead of alone. I've seen numerous posts to this end.

The reason I think it's good to think about this now, instead of later down the road, is because there are some fundamental issues conceptually if the game goes to multiplayer, which would have to be resolved.

1) The largest issue is surrounding death. The game currently operates with permadeath, in which your only option is to load a recent autosave. Translating this to multiplayer introduces many complications. If one player dies, do they simply get removed from the game and the other players continue? Do all players have to agree on what replay to reload? If a player becomes disconnected, do they simply stand still?

2) Would changes need to happen regarding the ownership of machines? For example, you cannot delete enemy structures as you can your own. If this was possible, it would enable players to compete with each other, and make it harder for vandalism. Without any ownership policy, servers beyond 7 players would be nearly impossible to manage.

3) Do players all have to start simultaneously? Or can the world start at a given time and players join it? Players who join later would be at a significant disadvantage compared to earlier players.

There are probably other issues I haven't thought about. If the game is to proceed towards a multiplayer version, which seems to be desired, then these would all have to be resolved first.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Multiplayer

Post by kovarex »

azoundria wrote:Obviously, this is far off, but I think everyone would like to be able to build machines together with friends instead of alone. I've seen numerous posts to this end.

The reason I think it's good to think about this now, instead of later down the road, is because there are some fundamental issues conceptually if the game goes to multiplayer, which would have to be resolved.

1) The largest issue is surrounding death. The game currently operates with permadeath, in which your only option is to load a recent autosave. Translating this to multiplayer introduces many complications. If one player dies, do they simply get removed from the game and the other players continue? Do all players have to agree on what replay to reload? If a player becomes disconnected, do they simply stand still?

2) Would changes need to happen regarding the ownership of machines? For example, you cannot delete enemy structures as you can your own. If this was possible, it would enable players to compete with each other, and make it harder for vandalism. Without any ownership policy, servers beyond 7 players would be nearly impossible to manage.

3) Do players all have to start simultaneously? Or can the world start at a given time and players join it? Players who join later would be at a significant disadvantage compared to earlier players.

There are probably other issues I haven't thought about. If the game is to proceed towards a multiplayer version, which seems to be desired, then these would all have to be resolved first.
Hello, these issues are the top of the top of an iceberg, as we already said, we made some analysis and our estimation is 2 months of full time of two programmers to make this happen, and there is no guarantee that it is enough.
This means, we first need to get to steam to get some financial stability, so we can afford to do this.

gr0mpel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by gr0mpel »

so lets all hope you get steam greenlight.
i think a lot of us would be really excited about multiplayer. however - as kovarex mentioned - when you play single player, the multiplayer really doesnt seem to jump towards you. its like (at least its me) I cant imagine how it should work ..
seems defnitiely complicated :)

so good luck with the greenlight!!!

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Yea factorio doesnt seem a game where multiplayer is really needed, I think that if two persons are in the same factory they may need to wait for researchs/resources a lot, and since there arent much resources ( copper, iron, coal and you can make almost everything) it also doesnt seem like a good competitive multiplayer game, dont take me wrong, I think multiplayer would be cool, just not a primary think (at my point of view)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ficolas wrote:Yea factorio doesnt seem a game where multiplayer is really needed, I think that if two persons are in the same factory they may need to wait for researchs/resources a lot, and since there arent much resources ( copper, iron, coal and you can make almost everything) it also doesnt seem like a good competitive multiplayer game, dont take me wrong, I think multiplayer would be cool, just not a primary think (at my point of view)
What I believe could be working is team play multiplayer. Let's say 5 player teams fighting, they would need to be cooperated well, and with 5 people it could get quick enough to be finishable in the span of 1-2 hours.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Imo you'd never be able to get 10 people together. And if you did, leavers, trolls and other league of legends players. :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Not 10, only 5 people are needed to play together. I mean, this is possible, especially, when said, the players can leave/come, whenever they want.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Lukasecicek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lukasecicek »

Getting around 10 people together could be real fun on some lan party. Screaming at each other across the room while playing factorio looks funny to me! :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”