Resumable in-game update

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tr1cKy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Resumable in-game update

Post by Tr1cKy »

When updating over EDGE connection, I ran out of bandwidth at about the 95% mark. The game became unresponsive taking up a core and I had to kill it via Task Manager. That's pretty bad - but not why I'm posting. ;)

When re-launching and updating again, the download started from scratch. I'm not sure how big core-win64-0.11.22-0.12.0-update.zip was supposed to be - so not sure how much of an improvement a resume would be - but it is sensible that a resume would have been much more convenient. :)

I suspect this is a similar problem to previous posts where browsers/download managers would not resume the download over S3:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =23&t=4192
https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.js ... eID=415794
And lo He said: "Bring unto Me the
Book of Blueprints
!"

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Resumable in-game update

Post by SilverWarior »

As far as I know the update files are not served from the server as being static FTP files which means that resuming of their download or concurrent download of different parts of these files (approach that is used by many download accelerators) is not possible.

Now developers could split update into several smaller files but since update files are usually pretty small (less than 40 MB) they never gave this any priority.
Now lately the updates (especially the ones between main versions) became a big larger due to more feature being implemented so developers might decide to implement some resume download mechanism but I doubt this would happen pretty soon since there is no real need for it.

Any way this thread should probably be moved into suggestion's since this is not an actual bug.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Resumable in-game update

Post by slpwnd »

SilverWarrior is right that the resume-download would have to be explicitly implemented on our side. And that is not something we want to spend our time with. A lot of work for little benefit. Yes, there might be an issue with larger updates (like this one) however most of the experimental updates are actually really small. Hope you understand :) Moving this into Ideas & Suggestions then.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”