Feature similar to Ctrl+Right-Click to split items evenly.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Enigmatica
Inserter
Inserter

Feature similar to Ctrl+Right-Click to split items evenly.

Post by Enigmatica »

Hold Ctrl + Right-Click down and hover your cursor over any number of machines or inventories and the items will be split evenly between them! I think this would come in handy.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Feature similar to Ctrl+Right-Click to split items evenly.

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Enigmatica wrote:Hold Ctrl + Right-Click down and hover your cursor over any number of machines or inventories and the items will be split evenly between them! I think this would come in handy.
You can only hover over one machine at a time, so basicaly this will not be functional.

But if you mean, that you walk along and cover more machines, than I have an other question. How should factorio know over how many machines you will walk to calculate the divinator?

Enigmatica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Enigmatica »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
Enigmatica wrote:Hold Ctrl + Right-Click down and hover your cursor over any number of machines or inventories and the items will be split evenly between them! I think this would come in handy.
You can only hover over one machine at a time, so basicaly this will not be functional.

But if you mean, that you walk along and cover more machines, than I have an other question. How should factorio know over how many machines you will walk to calculate the divinator?
You hold down right click as you drag over machines. Each machine or inventory you drag over will be accounted for, and the items will be split between them.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I needed some splitting of items only for gun turrets and only for the first one or two fillings of about 10 or eventually 20 turrets. Never for anything else.

Can someone tell me, why this is needed? Concrete example please. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

ssilk wrote:... Can someone tell me, why this is needed? Concrete example please. :)
First thing to come in mind is filling 14 burner-inserters with a stack of 25 coal(wood), when you have much more in inventory :) (for Steam power :))

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

The most crucial thing is early game when you don't have much and want to spread the fuel/ammo evenly across a large amount of consumers of them.

once you are established it's less vital though being able to say only insert up to this much is still handy for those using efficiency modules who want 3 lvl1s in each assembler3

Enigmatica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Enigmatica »

ratchetfreak wrote:The most crucial thing is early game when you don't have much and want to spread the fuel/ammo evenly across a large amount of consumers of them.

once you are established it's less vital though being able to say only insert up to this much is still handy for those using efficiency modules who want 3 lvl1s in each assembler3
This.

I also have a 40 lab setup for research and when I manually got some blue science stuff going, i wanted to evenly spread my blue science without building another conveyor system just yet.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Ok so basically this is needed a few times in a several tens of hours playthrough.
I'm not convinced it would be worth the effort.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Koub wrote:Ok so basically this is needed a few times in a several tens of hours playthrough.
maybe only refill up to however much was in the hand the first place. So if you grab 10 coal and ctrl-Rclick on a furnace then it'll take the 10 coal and your hand refills with 10 coal. (regardless of how much is in your inventory)

This will also help prime burners by grabbing a single piece of coal and then just running along them holding ctrl-rightclick.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
ssilk wrote:... Can someone tell me, why this is needed? Concrete example please. :)
First thing to come in mind is filling 14 burner-inserters with a stack of 25 coal(wood), when you have much more in inventory :) (for Steam power :))
Why would I do that? There are chests and belts. If you already have 14 inserters you also have enough iron to craft that.
Why even bother an don't put just so much coal in it, that I don't need to think about it anymore? Why even thinking about splitting it. The time I need to split can be used to built an automated supply.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Koub wrote:Ok so basically this is needed a few times in a several tens of hours playthrough.
Different people different playstyles. Some people only speedrun the game. Some people play till they want a new world.

Regardless of that, I still find this feature useful.
When upgrwding or fixing or cleaning up a outpost, I always end up picking up some of the resiurces. And I have belts that balance and put resources in 1 chest at a time. I either dump the resources in a chest or now my trash slots. I would absolutely love to spread the resources amongst my 14 chests on one side.
(Even when creating a new outpost)
Other thoughts that come to mind.... I have about 80 light oil cracking that needs some productivity.

I run steam only saves, no solar or accums. If trains cant keep up with the upkeep or iutpost runs low, entire factory will shut down. I have thousands of wood and coal stored jn chests near my steam engines, being able to balance it out to startup the system sould be amazing
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

One thing I'd find this very useful would be for placing modules in assemblers and other buildings.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

ssilk wrote:I needed some splitting of items only for gun turrets and only for the first one or two fillings of about 10 or eventually 20 turrets. Never for anything else.

Can someone tell me, why this is needed? Concrete example please. :)
I agree, I think this is a superflous feature. I almost always feed my Gun Turrets from Chests. That way, I can dump in a single stack of 100 Ammo or 100 AP Ammo, and it'll get split evenly betwen up to 4 Gun Turrets (or 8 if I link the 4 "cross" Gun Turrets to another 4 "corner" Gun Turrets via more Inserters) without me having to worry.

Early game, I also don't worry too much about feeding my Burner Drills and my Furnaces evenly. They just get a half or quarter stack of Coal each, and that's good enough, while I look forward to eletricity so I no longer have to worry about such things.

Bongwaterr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bongwaterr »

Koub wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:43 am
Ok so basically this is needed a few times in a several tens of hours playthrough.
Well no it would be used hundreds of times in the first few hours of a playthrough and less as you progress, but who cares if you were convinced it got added anyway

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm, Factorio is about automation.

That’s the old discussion about making everything by hand vs. automate it.

It doesn’t seem so, but in my experience it is in any case faster and easier to automate the splitting, so that you for example fill in just the items into a chest and the factory does the rest. It is just rethinking and the game would not support automation, if it would support splitting much better than yet.

What it could do to support this is, if it recognizes a player using many splitting that it could show a tip how to improve the play style.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”