electric trains

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Electric Trains and module carts

Post by FactorioParadox »

The problem isn't that the trains don't get resources back before I run out because I don't have enough trains, it's because it takes nearly 10 minutes for my trains to get to my closest ore outposts, since I depleted all the closer ones, and I know this is an issue many people see with long time maps.
And by making a faster train, your not solving this problem because it will simply take longer for things to get to that point. In other words, it's a band-aid fix.

Edit: However, band-aid fixes are not bad if they actually add something to the game, especially in a sandbox game such as Factorio where it's only a matter of time before any solution does not work. Take Angel's Smelting, for example: It provides an alternate ore-processing chain that allows you to increase the yield from ores. While you eventually return to the process of simply scaling up to produce more, the mod itself adds more depth to explore before you get to that point.

I will also say that I like some of the ideas you have for train cars as those do add depth.
Last edited by FactorioParadox on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

maxerature wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:A few things:
  • 1. This would not work well with double-headed trains. An engine has as much weight as 2 cars, so a train with 1 forward-facing engine and one backward-facing engine would slow down with any cars. The same exact thing would happen with 2 of each forward and backward engines, and so on. Also consider that many electric trains IRL have forward and backward facing engines.
    2. Do you realize that's over FOUR TIMES the speed of current trains? That's kind of OP. Sure, it would probably be more expensive, and would require electricity, but it's not like I couldn't have a train with eight cars. Just use four engines. If it's too expensive to do that, then they aren't a viable source of transportation, considering that at that point you would probably have dozens of trains.
    3. They would have to be incredibly hard to control. To work properly with normal trains, they would have to go from full speed to a complete stop in the same amount of time. At a top speed over four times as high. Normal trains are hard enough to control as is.
    4. What would the benefit be over having a normal train 4 times as long, or simply 4 normal trains?
I don't understand the issue with the first one, yes, it would cause problems with double headed trains. But that would difficulty is just part of the trade offs for the modules and higher speed.

I also do know that the speed is over 4 times that of current trains. I stated that in my original post. The compatibility issues with regular could be a problem, which is why I included the note about a potentially different rail type. I'd like the idea of this being similar to a maglev train. That way this train type would never need to interact with regular trains.

Control could be an issue, but I initially had the idea of making these always run on automatic, and have a "stopped" position instead of a manual for the control slider. That way it goes to stations and follows what the condition cart tells it to do, which would eliminate control issues.

The benefit is that trains are slow. The problem isn't that the trains don't get resources back before I run out because I don't have enough trains, it's because it takes nearly 10 minutes for my trains to get to my closest ore outposts, since I depleted all the closer ones, and I know this is an issue many people see with long time maps.

My job in this suggestion was to provide an idea, not to make a perfectly balanced game mechanic. I don't know what the devs envision for the game, but I feel that this could solve many problems if implemented well.

How do you feel about the concept of modular carts? You gave good criticism about the train itself, and for that I thank you!
What I was mentioning in the first one was that if you had a double-headed train with equal amounts of engines on both ends, adding any cargo wagons would slow it below its max speed, so you could only reach top speeds with single-header trans or if you only used it for player transportation (without cargo wagons).

As for the wagons, some of them are interesting ideas. Many of them are planned, somewhat possible, or in mods.

Artillery Cart:
Artillery train is planned for 0.16.

Speed Cart:
The modular carts and speed cart are a bit confusing regarding speed. You say they all have the weight of half a wagon (rounded up) except for one of them, but you also say their weight is ignored in the speed calculations. The module itself is also a bit confusing.

Construction Cart:
Basically the FARL mod, which I would love to see in some form in-game.

Blueprint Cart:
I believe there is some mod enabling equipment grids in vehicles which allows this. Would the player have to place blueprints by hand, then have the train place then when nearby? What about the train running away from bots?

Conditions Cart:
There are a few ways you can do some of what you want here. You can enable/disable stations via the circuit network. You can have trains leave stations at a circuit condition. Some mods also add more stuff with trains and the circuit network. I think what you want is quite complicated - you basically want an entire programming language centered around trains - which would be cool, but probably won't be added due to the complexity to add and for new players.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

maxerature
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maxerature »

Jap2.0 wrote:
What I was mentioning in the first one was that if you had a double-headed train with equal amounts of engines on both ends, adding any cargo wagons would slow it below its max speed, so you could only reach top speeds with single-header trans or if you only used it for player transportation (without cargo wagons).

As for the wagons, some of them are interesting ideas. Many of them are planned, somewhat possible, or in mods.

Artillery Cart:

Speed Cart:
The modular carts and speed cart are a bit confusing regarding speed. You say they all have the weight of half a wagon (rounded up) except for one of them, but you also say their weight is ignored in the speed calculations. The module itself is also a bit confusing.

Construction Cart:

Blueprint Cart:
I believe there is some mod enabling equipment grids in vehicles which allows this. Would the player have to place blueprints by hand, then have the train place then when nearby? What about the train running away from bots?

Conditions Cart:
There are a few ways you can do some of what you want here. You can enable/disable stations via the circuit network. You can have trains leave stations at a circuit condition. Some mods also add more stuff with trains and the circuit network. I think what you want is quite complicated - you basically want an entire programming language centered around trains - which would be cool, but probably won't be added due to the complexity to add and for new players.

I know about the artillery cart, and only included it as an idea to turn it from a full cart to a half cart. I have never heard of the Farl mod, I'll have to check that out. If that's a mod, it really does need to be incorporated into the game, as it proves it's possible. The blueprint cart would have the train itself place the print, players need not apply. The conditions cart is no more complicated than the rest of the circuit network (which is admittedly still somewhat confusing even to me, an experienced player). The only difference is that that the cart is a decider combinator for the train which can have multiple conditions, and the options for the train would take different actions, similarly to inserters or chests or anything else which can link to the network. It would basically only allow for turning left or right with the construction module, and for dynamic schedules the rest of the time.

I realize now that I do need to change some things in the post, it's somewhat confusing. The speed calculations do not ignore the module carts, thanks for pointing that out! I got confused and wrote that strangely at the beginning of the post. This has been updated. Now to look for that mod you told me about...

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

maxerature wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:

Artillery Cart:

Speed Cart:

Construction Cart:

Blueprint Cart:

Conditions Cart:

I know about the artillery cart, and only included it as an idea to turn it from a full cart to a half cart. I have never heard of the Farl mod, I'll have to check that out. If that's a mod, it really does need to be incorporated into the game, as it proves it's possible. The blueprint cart would have the train itself place the print, players need not apply. The conditions cart is no more complicated than the rest of the circuit network (which is admittedly still somewhat confusing even to me, an experienced player). The only difference is that that the cart is a decider combinator for the train which can have multiple conditions, and the options for the train would take different actions, similarly to inserters or chests or anything else which can link to the network. It would basically only allow for turning left or right with the construction module, and for dynamic schedules the rest of the time.

I realize now that I do need to change some things in the post, it's somewhat confusing. The speed calculations do not ignore the module carts, thanks for pointing that out! I got confused and wrote that strangely at the beginning of the post. This has been updated. Now to look for that mod you told me about...
The way you describe it, though, makes me think it would make more sense as a new locomotive.

maxerature
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maxerature »

FactorioParadox wrote:
maxerature wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:

Artillery Cart:

Speed Cart:

Construction Cart:

Blueprint Cart:

Conditions Cart:

The way you describe it, though, makes me think it would make more sense as a new locomotive.

Describe what? All the modular abilities? They would be part of a new cart. They would be special carts which you can only put on the new electric train. Nothing in this game will be permanent.

Anyway, any fix will only work for a certain amount of time. Once you're launching 20 rockets per minute like I am in my current world, nothing will keep your resources full. My 50 trains would be perfectly fine if only I hadn't used all my closer ores.

Really this post is focused around the module carts. The electric train is just a way to make the modules make more sense, and to make trains more interesting.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

maxerature wrote:
FactorioParadox wrote:
maxerature wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:

Artillery Cart:

Speed Cart:

Construction Cart:

Blueprint Cart:

Conditions Cart:

Describe what? All the modular abilities? They would be part of a new cart. They would be special carts which you can only put on the new electric train. Nothing in this game will be permanent.

Anyway, any fix will only work for a certain amount of time. Once you're launching 20 rockets per minute like I am in my current world, nothing will keep your resources full. My 50 trains would be perfectly fine if only I hadn't used all my closer ores.

Really this post is focused around the module carts. The electric train is just a way to make the modules make more sense, and to make trains more interesting.
My bad, I should have specified the combinator car specifically.

And while you are right about fixes only working for a certain amount of time, it is better (in most cases) for those fixes to add depth to the game whereas electric trains would simply be a way to connect two already existing systems together to provide a flat benefit. Or at least, that's how I feel about it.

maxerature
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maxerature »

FactorioParadox wrote: My bad, I should have specified the combinator car specifically.

And while you are right about fixes only working for a certain amount of time, it is better (in most cases) for those fixes to add depth to the game whereas electric trains would simply be a way to connect two existing systems together. Or at least, that's how I feel about it.
I was initially planning on suggesting multiple types of trains with multiple types of rails, for example a monorail with monorail rails, a maglev with a magnet track, a rocket sledge on regular tracks, etc.

I feel like that would break the "one suggestion per thread" rule, and settled for an electric train and a new system. I kinda combined the ideas of all of them into one. A potential new rail type which would require electricity (maglev) with a train that goes extremely fast and can only carry smaller loads (monorail and rocket sledge). I'd love to see all these different train types so that people need to use different trains for different purposes, but just one train with some of the ideas from each separate one would work as well. I just really want the module carts.

I don't understand how conditions carts would need to be a new train? It would be basically like putting a combinator on wheels and lugging it behind a train, where the input connects primarily to the inventory and the output to the train. I don't think it would work as a new train, because it doesn't intrinsically change transportation and there's no comparison between it and other potential train types. I feel like it works better as something to modify electric trains with, since not every train will need it, but it could be useful for some.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Honestly this sounds like a mod first thing

All your balancing seems off so making this into a mod and testing all that would be useful rather than dumping it on the devs and expecting it to work out of the box

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

maxerature
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maxerature »

JohnyDL wrote:Honestly this sounds like a mod first thing

All your balancing seems off so making this into a mod and testing all that would be useful rather than dumping it on the devs and expecting it to work out of the box

If I could learn. Lua easily, I'd make a mod for this. Especially for the modules, the electric train is less important. Even so, the devs are the ones who would be best able to balance it all well. If they say it won't work at all as it is, I'll make a point of learning lua to make a better suggestion. As it is, I'm still going to try and learn, but my progress might be slower.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Balancing doesn't happen in a vacuum it happens with a lot of user feedback there's a whole other sub forum just dedicated to balancing issues.

I've been thinking actually what might solve this problem boils down to modules and trains. The train GUI is already cramped and fitting in my suggestion is probably not easy but.

A level 2 train that requires advanced fuel (solid fuel, rocket fuel or nuclear fuel) and has some module slots and is beaconable

Speed modules don't increase the maximum speed but the acceleration of this new engine so you might beacon launch areas to get your train up to peak speeds.

Efficiency modules make the fuel last longer and produce less pollution so for long routes rather than refuelling maybe a few efficiency modules do the trick.

And finally productivity modules that give a boost to the number of item slots to each of the cargo wagons the train pulls making the train deliveries more productive.

Being a tier 2 item it would probably get a boost compared to the current trains but maybe 50% not 300% as the modules make the rest of the difference.

Over all this idea changes how you need to approach trains. Anywhere that one train can slow down another has a huge cost especially if you beacon after junctions to recover speed. But the old trains aren't made redundant they become either slower bulk deliveries for none critical ore or intermediate products or shuttle trains between resource delivery and individual crafting or furnace setups so your fast trains are doing as much work as possible and not sat around in train stations to no benefit

With the additional carts sitting firmly, for now, in mod territory

maxerature
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maxerature »

JohnyDL wrote:Balancing doesn't happen in a vacuum it happens with a lot of user feedback there's a whole other sub forum just dedicated to balancing issues.

I've been thinking actually what might solve this problem boils down to modules and trains. The train GUI is already cramped and fitting in my suggestion is probably not easy but.

A level 2 train that requires advanced fuel (solid fuel, rocket fuel or nuclear fuel) and has some module slots and is beaconable

Speed modules don't increase the maximum speed but the acceleration of this new engine so you might beacon launch areas to get your train up to peak speeds.

Efficiency modules make the fuel last longer and produce less pollution so for long routes rather than refuelling maybe a few efficiency modules do the trick.

And finally productivity modules that give a boost to the number of item slots to each of the cargo wagons the train pulls making the train deliveries more productive.

Being a tier 2 item it would probably get a boost compared to the current trains but maybe 50% not 300% as the modules make the rest of the difference.

Over all this idea changes how you need to approach trains. Anywhere that one train can slow down another has a huge cost especially if you beacon after junctions to recover speed. But the old trains aren't made redundant they become either slower bulk deliveries for none critical ore or intermediate products or shuttle trains between resource delivery and individual crafting or furnace setups so your fast trains are doing as much work as possible and not sat around in train stations to no benefit

With the additional carts sitting firmly, for now, in mod territory
It seems like you're confused about the topic. Modular in this sense doesn't mean adding modules like with machines, the modules are the specific carts, many of which provide a fundamental change in how to train functions. I do agree that balancing cannot be done without a large number of contributors or with true experience.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

No I got your idea, my post was an alternative that would solve the same problem and fit far better into the current way that the game works hence the second paragraph having the words 'my suggestion' and 'might solve this problem' the one you're having with not enough ore or deliveries from your trains in reasonable time.

I entirely got your idea much much faster trains with train carriages that are akin to the recursive blueprint mod and mobile roboports, a track placing bulldozer and weapons carriage, and a completely different way to go about the whole route planning task. None of which I think are inherently bad ideas I was just offering an alternative that would possibly fit in better with the vanilla game and also solve the why's of your original post by adding/changing 1 item not 7 or more

And having posted about 200 messages to ideas and suggestions I pretty much know if I made a separate thread for it given the idea is a direct response it would get merged
oh and you might want to check out these threads on some of the same lines of thinking

maxerature
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maxerature »

Ah I see. The point of my suggestion was something new. I wanted to have a completely new mechanic built upon an old one. Like I stated in earlier replies, I was debating talking about multiple different types of trains and rails for different purposes in addition to the modular carts. I felt that that was a little much for a single post. I just love the idea of all these possibilities, and would make them into a mod if only I could use lua.

GurlPower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Electric Locomotives

Post by GurlPower »

TL;DR
Have a train locomotive that has has to run on electrically powered rails. Rails that are under the blue power grid
become automatically powered.
What ?
I mean it doesn't get more direct than that really. This electric locomotive would require electric engines instead of regular engines in the locomotive's build recipe, which makes it a more advanced and later game unlock, and the mass electrification of rails would use more resources because you'd use more power stations to cover your entire rail line. Electric trains could only accelerate on electrified track segments and would break normally for safety if they go over unpowered rails. Electric Locomotives would be a separate research technology that would be researched after both Automated Rail Transportation and Electric Engines technologies were completed, providing the ability to build Electric Locomotives.

so in addition to this:

you would also be able to research and build this:
Why ?
Because they both exist in real life and though more technical and expensive to set up electric locomotives are actually cheaper to run in real life while being less polluting, which is kinda a theme in this game. With the advent of nuclear power in Factorio, there has been a shift away from fossil fuel energy sources, and electric trains are the next logical step to utilize it. Plus it frees up coal for plastics of all things.

See more about here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_locomotive

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Electric Locomotives

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Fuller
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fuller »

I think the next step in the evolution of electric locomotives would be big accumulator packs.
Maybe design a locomotive without "ordinary" fuel and use a large accumulator instead.
So without the need to modify all the train tracks the Devs might think about it.
(there are also opportunities to design speedloaders and maybe a research to increase accu capacity)

GurlPower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GurlPower »

Though nominally included as one part of several suggestions in a few threads, the words "electric train" and "electric locomotive" do not appear in anything but buried in here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53730&p=317613&hil ... ve#p317613 after using the forum search, which I felt was too little. The OP here calls for a specific and actionable item, and offers suggestions on how to integrate electric trains within the came as unobtrusively and easily as possible, which was not actually in any of the other threads I searched for when I wrote the OP.

Though I really gotta agree with the fourth one down. They nearly nailed how I requested electric locomotives be constructed and behave, however I wouldn't add a "rail electrifier" when the blue power network zone already exists.

The electric locomotive could check to see if it is inside a power grid and if false apply the break. As an optimization, the game could precheck power for every rail and set triggers on the transition to unpowered rails to apply the breaks, so the train dosen't have to waste cycles constantly checking to see if it's in the power network when it is in the power network.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Never thought of this before, very good idea!
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

MOE_51
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Electric Trains

Post by MOE_51 »

Adds electric tracks, which can be used to power power elctric trains or Robo-Wagons ( Roboports as train wagons ). To power the tracks you would need some sort of structure that has to be placed on side or an electric track, these would then have to be powerd, the more of them the faster the trains, but the more power drain. The more trains on the tracl the slower the trains but this problem can be fixed with more of those structure that you put on the side of the tracks. The Robo-Wagons will also drain this battery. Finally there should be logic chest wagons, each one has 6 chest, and each of theses can be chosen between the 4 different types.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”