Character Customization

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Character Customization

Post by Xeorm »

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but hadn't seen anything about it.'

But the idea is: give us some ability to customize how we look, along with being able to save looks for different maps. I know right now we can change our coloring by using text commands, but I'm thinking this would work very well if exported to a menu. Give us RBGA sliders, along with displays of our character and the vehicles to see how we'd look as we go.

Even better, would be to offer various sprites to use. The current sprite used for the character is good, but I know I and others preferred something like the old version. Seems like a good area to provide more for the players.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Character Customization

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Character Customization

Post by daniel34 »

OP already knew how to change the coloring of the player using commands, it's more about being able to change the color and/or player model using some kind of GUI.

The new character model was introduced in FFF #40, and the forum topic also discussed making a female player model, first suggested in this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=76&t=294
The thread https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =33&t=6909 mentions that they would like the original (0.10.x) player skin back, at least as a mod. Xeorm replied wanting the same skin.

In my opinion the player skin is rather irrelevant to the game. I didn't even see that there are different player models in the game depending on what armor/weapon the player uses, according to FFF #40 (are there even different skins? I didn't check).
Space Engineers added the ability to remove the helmet of the player a few weeks ago, and the face underneath was male, leading to some forum discussion about introducing female player skins. I think that the player skin should be made 'unisex', because (1) it doesn't matter which gender the player is and (2) it would just upset some people. I agree with this post:
SMOKEYBRUCE wrote:Wow people seem to be really bothered about the character. I'm not sure it even matters to me for there to be a character at all and just play it like a top down strategy game. It doesn't add that much to the game at the moment. I'm sure it will further down the line when you can customise the character add more vehicles and of course for multi-player. But I'm not sure you need to add a skirt and pink hair bow and a tie and trousers to differentiate between. Besides that would only upset transgender people.

As always just my opinion.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”