User Interaction

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

zer0t3ch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

User Interaction

Post by zer0t3ch »

Is there any plans for buttons/levers so we can have a bit more user interaction?
"F**k thy hater"
-George Watsky

Feel free to contact me!
Razer Comms: Zer0t3ch
Email: zer0t3ch@live.com

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: User Interaction

Post by slpwnd »

What exactly do you mean?

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

Hijacking the thread a little, my apologies. Levers that could be used to turn on/off large sections of the factory by limiting power flow would be pretty awesome.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

mayby its bit crude, but you could just remove the powerpole to get on/off switch. I don't see much use for simple switch since you would need to monitor it, but if you could make it automatic with some signal input. Yea that would be interesting.

Like, if switch were connected to smart chest that holds ammo for turrets. You could save some power by cutting power from lasers and use gun turrets to trigger them on. mayby you could use logistic bot to work as delay (or that smart chest item loop presented somewhere in this forum)

Also power limiting can be done with accumulators. Place them between seperated networks.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

Yes workarounds exist for many problems I agree. However the solutions are all stopgap methods and are ugly at best in my opinion. I would much prefer a practical simple solution such as already suggested.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

Balinor wrote:Yes workarounds exist for many problems I agree. However the solutions are all stopgap methods and are ugly at best in my opinion. I would much prefer a practical simple solution such as already suggested.
The suggestion is not mentioned in detail here, so I can only assume you want powerpole kind of entity that has on/off function. To me its not much use as there is simple solution. so I think it just need something to make the deal much sweeter. [Removed bad idea]
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

rk84 wrote:
Balinor wrote:Yes workarounds exist for many problems I agree. However the solutions are all stopgap methods and are ugly at best in my opinion. I would much prefer a practical simple solution such as already suggested.
The suggestion is not mentioned in detail here, so I can only assume you want powerpole kind of entity that has on/off function. To me its not much use as there is simple solution. so I think it just need something to make the deal much sweeter. [Removed bad idea]
Lever/Button was about as simple as the solution can get. I don't mind if that was implemented as a powerpole with an on/off function or as a entity that can control what it is placed on or near. I just want the functionality without using the existing methods which I do not like. As far as that is concerned I think we'll just have to agree to disagree though.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

Hmm I admit it has usage, because mining and building a pole might make unwanted connection.

I have an idea that the switch could have some influence on how networks connect. It could create new network that only connects itself. It would need method to add new poles in network though. Mayby some sort drag and place.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

(Concerning this proposed new pole type) Why not just use copper wiring like red and green wires are already used?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

n9103 wrote:(Concerning this proposed new pole type) Why not just use copper wiring like red and green wires are already used?
heh. I didn't know you can use copper wire on pole. But everything auto-connects, so you can only build additional connections with it?
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You may have a look at https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=961

There are some ideas about auto connection and so on, but yet not thought to the end.

I think the idea of having a device, which forces two networks being disconnected (otherwise the would be a electric short which destroys this device!) is the right way, and that this idea came now up again shows me, that it is. :)

Transformer:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... er+station

Switch:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=952
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Not that I know of, but wouldn't it be easier to adapt the code for an existing system to include a new type, than a new object with new behavior?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”