Belt divider

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Belt divider

Post by Phantasm »

Belts have two sides and it is often useful to have different items on each side. But currently it isn't possible to easily divide the lines into own belts. That sort of basic activity shouldn't need using filter inserters.

As for the item, I suggest making a single square item that leaves one side going normally while turning other side 90 degrees.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Belt divider

Post by LoSboccacc »

the filter inserter is pretty handy for that.

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

LoSboccacc wrote:the filter inserter is pretty handy for that.
It works, but is all but handy. If you have one normal belt with both sides at full capacity and you want a guaranteed split that no wrong goods ever enter the wrong side you have to use inserters on both sides instead of letting old belt continue for other good. That is 3 filter inserters for both sides with 39 W a piece at almost full utilization using some 200 W or so and using a lot of space. Also filter inserter is needs to be researched. Also, need for electricity which belts won't need. With express belt you might manage with 8 splitters on both sides at about 600 W... Talk about overkill for the most basic piece any dual sided belt system anywhere would use.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

Yeah this is a really good idea.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

A pair of basic inserters can easily separate a belt's sides at the end of a belt.
For faster throughput simply use fast inserters and increase the number on the side needing faster output.

Top side ends up on bottom belt's bottom side, bottom side on top's top.

Code: Select all

===>
   ||
>==
   ||
   ===>
Condensing this process to a single square without it being prohibitively expensive seems very OP.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I suggest reading this: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 6118#p6104

In short: the left and right side of a belt can be parted by using a splitter and two orthogonaly placed underground belts.

But I admit, that this is not very obvious and takes much place and looks ... wired. And left/right is afterwards swapped. But who said this is easy?

In general I suggest to have own belts for the basic items like iron-ore, coal, copper, iron-plates and copper plates. I try to join the items into one belt at the last moment, which is possible and use therefore a lot of splitters and underground belts, just because they don't need energy.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tonberrytoby
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tonberrytoby »

n9103 wrote:A pair of basic inserters can easily separate a belt's sides at the end of a belt.
For faster throughput simply use fast inserters and increase the number on the side needing faster output.

Top side ends up on bottom belt's bottom side, bottom side on top's top.

Code: Select all

===>
   ||
>==
   ||
   ===>
Condensing this process to a single square without it being prohibitively expensive seems very OP.
This doesn't work. Things will get mixed up, unless both belt sides have exactly the same number of items on them.
ssilk wrote:I suggest reading this: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 6118#p6104

In short: the left and right side of a belt can be parted by using a splitter and two orthogonaly placed underground belts.

But I admit, that this is not very obvious and takes much place and looks ... wired. And left/right is afterwards swapped. But who said this is easy?

In general I suggest to have own belts for the basic items like iron-ore, coal, copper, iron-plates and copper plates. I try to join the items into one belt at the last moment, which is possible and use therefore a lot of splitters and underground belts, just because they don't need energy.
This looks a bit like an exploit, and uses lots of space.
Also it won't work correctly for fast belts.

Barbaar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Barbaar »

I like Phantasm's idea for a bit simpler divider.

On the other hand using n9103's setup, but using filter inserters maybe makes a factory look a bit cooler ;)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”