Small chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Small chest

Post by Phantasm »

It would be nice to be able to have very small chest with storage size of 1. That is to be able to use basic inserters to store factory output for easy picking to player. Currently it is only possible at the point where you have smart inserters as with normal ones you would be filling the whole large chest needlessly or using too slow inserters to get any real amount of items into the chest.

The idea of the game is to be able to use factories to your benefit. Even early on. This basic usage style shouldn't need any advanced technologies.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Small chest

Post by ssilk »

Phantasm wrote:It would be nice to be able to have very small chest with storage size of 1.
I think you mean one slot?
This is indeed a need because this would speed up the game. But you should also think about using a belt as storage.
Btw I would call chests with only one slot "containers" and make it eventually possible to put it on a belt, when full.
That is to be able to use basic inserters to store factory output for easy picking to player. Currently it is only possible at the point where you have smart inserters as with normal ones you would be filling the whole large chest needlessly or using too slow inserters to get any real amount of items into the chest.
Hm. As a beginner you often try to store things. I found out for me this takes too much time. It is much more efficient to build a just-in-time-production-line. This needs some experience, for example it is enormous how much item fits on a belt. If that item is a high-end product, it takes an high amount of raw material to fill a belt with it. Or you need to know about how much assemblies are needed to built an item.
Last edited by ssilk on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

That is to be able to use basic inserters to store factory output for easy picking to player. Currently it is only possible at the point where you have smart inserters as with normal ones you would be filling the whole large chest needlessly or using too slow inserters to get any real amount of items into the chest.
Hm. As a beginner you often try to store things. I found out for me this takes too much time. It is much more efficient to build a just-in-time-production-line. This needs some experience, for example it is enormous how much item fits on a belt. If that item is a high-end product, it takes an high amount of raw material to fill a belt with it. Or you need to know about how much assemblies are needed to built an item.
I know I can pick off stuff from belt, but that takes effort (especially with close by belts and not wanting to pick all). The main reason is to be able to easily have 1 slot container filled with say gears. Then as you need gears for producing stuff yourself, you just ctrl-click the container and voila you have one full slot of gears in your inventory. It makes it much easier to produce things yourself that way.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm.

My ideas about that where
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=972
and
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=886

And I will make a more precise definition of the container idea.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

what I do is block all slots -x, or place a smart inserter so it only pulls stuff when there are enought items.

Is not that needed.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe it should be configurable, how much the "internal slots" are filled. Furnaces and gun turrets for example are filled to the max, assemblies not.

Doesn't make sense...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”