Option to disable no-power flashing / Remove potential epilepsy problem / Reduce distraction on power loss

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vangrunz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Option to disable no-power flashing / Remove potential epilepsy problem / Reduce distraction on power loss

Post by vangrunz »

I support this request, as blinking and/or animating makes me going mental. Concentration is a strain if you cannot focus on your project respectively being distracted.

Currently, the only mod I found was "No Power Icons", but that does nothing else than changing the transparency so it isn't just visible (but still there).

My suggestion:
Keep it visible, but add an option to stop it from flashing/blinking. I guess it's not that difficult to add such a switch to the options menu. Thank you! :)

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Option to disable no-power flashing / Remove potential epilepsy problem / Reduce distraction on power loss

Post by Silari »

vangrunz wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:00 am
Currently, the only mod I found was "No Power Icons", but that does nothing else than changing the transparency so it isn't just visible (but still there).
There are also options for variable levels of transparency, not just blank (which isn't transparent at all, it's just an empty png), as well as scaling, which helps some folks without needing to disable them entirely.

There's a request to make the blink interval moddable, but without it that's the best that can be done with mods without it.

drdozer
Inserter
Inserter

toggle off blinking warning icons

Post by drdozer »

TL;DR
Add a toggle to stop power/fuel warning icons from incessantly flashing
What?
When entities are without power, or fuel, they flash with a warning icon. Please could we have the behaviour changed, or a toggle added to stop these from blinking endlessly? For example, replace the blinking with a smaller, solid icon. Or blink 5x and then go solid.
Why?
This blinking is headache-inducing, and horrible to look at for any length of time. During building/design, it's quite common for there to be hundreds of entities flashing, and I'm slightly surprised that it's never put me into an epileptic seizure. After the initial blink to call attention to a problem, more blinking doesn't help, and makes it more difficult to see anything that isn't flashing.
Why do you want it
It hurts my head. This is one of the very few remaining UX issues that make playing factorio less pleasant.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

besteman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

"No power" and "no fuel" Warning Static

Post by besteman »

TL;DR
"No power" and "no fuel" Warnings have an option to not pulse but be static.
What?
"No power" and "no fuel" Warnings have an option to not pulse but be static.
Why?
As someone that has ADHD, it is very hard to plan my factory and/or concentrate on the game with the warnings pulsing as they do.

Also, it would be valuable for people that have epilepsy as well.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

besteman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by besteman »

Has there been any update by Wube about this issue?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

besteman wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:12 pm
Has there been any update by Wube about this issue?
No, but they seem to have many things in the queue, maybe, just maybe something will pop up soon. I hope it, but no further knowledge

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”