Vehicle Acceleration/Top Speed for Cars

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Vehicle Acceleration/Top Speed for Cars

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

VANILLA FACTORIO
Currently, the top speed modifier on fuels only affects the top speed of trains. The acceleration modifier on fuels affects the acceleration of trains, but for cars if affects both acceleration and top speed.

WHAT I AM SUGGESTING
I want to be able to make fuels which can influence the acceleration or top speed of cars independently of each other. It seems that this cannot be done currently, as there are only four vehicle attributes which fuels are allowed to affect: top speed, acceleration, fuel glow color, and rate of pollution.

POSSIBLE WAY TO DO IT
A workable solution I can suggest is to allow fuels to affect a vehicle's two friction values (friction, terrain_friction_modifier). This should be easy to implement, and would allow a modder to influence vehicle top speed and acceleration independent of each other given enough understanding of how these values function.

- - - - - - - - - -

I might also suggest allowing fuel to affect other vehicle modifiers as well, such as:
effectivity (fuel efficiency)
consumption (vehicle power in terms of rate of fuel consumption)
braking_power (how fast the vehicle can come to a stop)
rotation_speed (speed of rotation for tank driving mode, turn radius for car driving mode)
and perhaps others as well!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Vehicle Acceleration/Top Speed for Cars

Post by FuryoftheStars »

If the top speed modifier is indeed not affecting cars, then that sounds like a bug report.

I also fail to see what fuel has to do with these:
rotation_speed (speed of rotation for tank driving mode, turn radius for car driving mode)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:23 pm
If the top speed modifier is indeed not affecting cars, then that sounds like a bug report.
Cars do not have a top speed attribute. Their actual top speed is a function of their acceleration power and their current friction values.
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Power to the modders. It is generally better to give the modders more power. You don't have to know beforehand what they will do with it.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

thereaverofdarkness wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:55 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Cars do not have a top speed attribute. Their actual top speed is a function of their acceleration power and their current friction values.
Ah, ok. I hadn't played around with cards before, just trains, so I didn't realize this.
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:55 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Power to the modders. It is generally better to give the modders more power. You don't have to know beforehand what they will do with it.
Fuel has no bearing on how well a vehicle can brake or turn, so a fuel modifier for these makes no sense. We can already mod these directly, although I would support a research tech being able to mod these as well. But it doesn't make sense to be on the fuel.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:08 pm
Fuel has no bearing on how well a vehicle can brake or turn, so a fuel modifier for these makes no sense. We can already mod these directly, although I would support a research tech being able to mod these as well. But it doesn't make sense to be on the fuel.
Don't attack an additional suggestion I made tacked onto the end. That's not what this topic is about.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

I think cars should have a fixed acceleration, no matter what fuel you are using. Without gear change it would be hard to drive precisely otherwise. The maximum speed might be increased though. The tank should accelerate fairly good, but being simply cut at a rather low speed with normal fuel.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:29 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:08 pm
Don't attack an additional suggestion I made tacked onto the end. That's not what this topic is about.
I'm sorry that you don't like the fact that I don't agree.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Factoruser wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 pm
I think cars should have a fixed acceleration, no matter what fuel you are using. Without gear change it would be hard to drive precisely otherwise. The maximum speed might be increased though. The tank should accelerate fairly good, but being simply cut at a rather low speed with normal fuel.
It will maintain a fixed acceleration if you keep the same fuel. You can then change the fuel in order to change the acceleration if you don't like how it is currently. The problem you suggest might arise from this is precisely the problem which this proposal is designed to resolve.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”