Removing the Spidertron "screen jitter" on moving around.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Removing the Spidertron "screen jitter" on moving around.

Post by Taurondir »

This is going to sound weird, so bear with me.

Because of how I see, I seem to be much more sensitive to movement then other people. It makes it hell to play shooters with all the weapons that have recoil, and when the games have flashy graphics or very "pretty" graphics that make the screen too colorful and patchwork/cluttered

For Factorio I have a personal "overwrite" folder that I dump across every time I update the game to fit "my eyes", and I keep adding more and more every year that I play, I also have hacked Shader files to give me perma-day and no weird border on the radar view.

from this : https://i.imgur.com/L5WNhic.jpg
to this : https://i.imgur.com/EhsYgxd.jpg

One thing lately that has been hitting me rather hard is that when you move around in the Spidertron, the spider "jiggles around" quite a bit, on moving and stopping. That would normally be fine, but it's the fact that it takes the "viewscreen" along with it. The easy way to see it is to move the spider just a few squares at the time, and it will say, move right, but because it "has not moved enough to get X distance exactly" the view screen snaps backwards to the left a little bit because it's centered on the spider center body.

What I guess I am saying is "is possible to get HARD movement every time" as in "instead of the spider wobbling back, it always continues and finishes its forward movement so that it never has to snap backwards, unless the path forward is the problem".

Not expecting anything here. Everytime I mention things like these in other places the most common response is "sounds like a you problem" and yes it is, and If I could figure out and hack some files and still be vanilla-compatible I would have done it, mostly I thought I'd put a feeler out there to remind everyone that "forced viewscreens shenanigans" can cause problems because a game is not real life, and human brains work weird, and sometimes, there is easy fixes, and sometimes there might be not. I'm just seeing if this is one of those things.

Maybe people like the "jiggle"? I don't know. All I know is that my brain dislikes it for some reason.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Removing the Spidertron "screen jitter" on moving around.

Post by ickputzdirwech »

No need to apologise in any way. Maybe you know this mod already: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/spidertr ... e913783eeb. It will stop the vertical bobbing. As mentioned in the linked discussion it doesn’t stop the vertical wobble however. And according to the mod author this isn‘t possible. You could try and raise a modding interface request for the latter.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Other games call this effect 'head bob'. I find it extremely annoying as well. Shaking the screen for explosions is also a bad thing. (Don't remember if this game has that though.)
Last edited by jamiechi1 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

Would you be interested in sharing that folder? I like those changes, I would be happy to move them into a mod so it's easier to handle updates and others may benefit (with your permission)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”