Larger area for scroll wheel interaction with input sliders.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Larger area for scroll wheel interaction with input sliders.

Post by sorahn »

TL;DR
There should be more area around a range slider where using the scroll wheel affects the slider.

What ?
In the image below, the pink square represents how much of the UI is available to use the scroll wheel on the range slider compared to the blue square which shows the rest of the UI component fields height. It would be great if the vertical area that the scroll wheel moves the slider could be increased to roughly the same size as the other UI elements.

Why ?
Currently it's seems difficult to get your mouse in the right spot to move the slider with out just clicking on the handle it self (which is what I do currently). What frequently happens when I scroll that slider (or the ones when setting circuit conditions, or something) is that the entire map zooms instead because the mouse has moved by a tiny bit and is no longer exactly in the right place.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Larger area for scroll wheel interaction with input sliders.

Post by Koub »

@OP, you want the scrollwheel of your mouse to act on the slider when you mouse over the blue area, and not only the red area. Did I rephrase your suggestion correctly, or did I misunderstand something?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sorahn »

@koub. Thats pretty close yea. Thanks!

I don't think the scroll wheel should work in the _entire_ blue area, but at least in the red area, but to the height of the blue area.

The blue area was just to outline the compared click height of the other inputs across the box.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Heck, I'd say the scroll wheel should work if your pointer is anywhere in the entire dialog. What else are you going to scroll?

Maybe if you're in the tab area it should scroll you between tabs, but otherwise, the slider at the bottom is the only thing that makes sense to scroll.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Kyralessa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:47 pm
Heck, I'd say the scroll wheel should work if your pointer is anywhere in the entire dialog. What else are you going to scroll?

Maybe if you're in the tab area it should scroll you between tabs, but otherwise, the slider at the bottom is the only thing that makes sense to scroll.
Try installing a few more mods and see if any extra scroll bars appear... :lol:
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sorahn »

Kyralessa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:47 pm

The slightly hard part for having it work anywhere is that there are double sliders down there some times (logistic requests). So I think you at least should be in the general area so you know which of the double slider handles you'd be scrolling. the one closest to the mouse is much harder for a human to determine when the cursor is at the top of that window so that might lead to unexpected results for some people.

Probably the entire frame area is OK, but I don't know how complicated the UI code is that would need to be implemented to be listening for the scroll wheel event outside of the area of the input thats in use.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”