Moderate the post "Read this OR be ignored!"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Moderate the post "Read this OR be ignored!"

Post by coppercoil »

Nevertheless, I think the simplest solution (without rewriting the article) would by modifying the title. The threatening "read this or be ignored" sounds very plausible, so it gives a serious mood for further reading. If we write some serious-looking hyperbole or nonsense like "read this OR biters will stole your gamesave", this should offer more relaxed point of view. Of course, we would still need one sentence after TLDR about the gamesave safety :mrgreen:

So, "read this OR [what]"?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

"Read this before posting"

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I was temporarily banned from this forum for being toxic, after i received a warning that didn't help. I took some time back then to think about it, and i think a personnal attack is targeting the person, while the persnnal criticism is targeting a behavior. You can't really change who you are, if you are sensitive, or careless, but you can change your behavior to be more careful to others or express your sensitivity without making it sound others are responsible.

I think most criticism or even personnal attack are "legal" but they may not be nice. It is then possible to call anyone an attacker, it's legal, it may be a shared views with other people, or not, i think the legal aspect get more involved when it's damaging the reputation of someone which is not often the case when one side despise the other for doing something, that the other side is proud of doing and think everyone should do. ( where should we put the cursor in the degree of politeness/cordiality that becomes the norm in the forum ? ).

The more "familiar" with the forum, the easiest it is to forget how intimidating could be the first few post for newcomers, and also maybe it's just me, but it makes it easier to express negative feedback in a environment where you are not a newcomer, in which case it is usually easier to just cope with the existing rules, which obvisouly OP had began doing, since this thread is about the rules that implied they were read. Not everyone read rules before posting, and not everyone respect them all the time even after reading them, not everyone care about the rules or give feeback on them.

once you have read the rules you have no more need to read them again, so asking for a change in formulation is not even for yourself, but for other people that may come later, it's an attempt to make the place nicer when you leave it than when you arrived, which can backfire, or create conflict, " the road to hell is paved with good intention " is a saying that exist in french and in english, i think the meaning is similar to "Das Gegenteil von 'gut' ist 'gut gemeint" in german.

I don't think the green paragraph is helping clarity, but it provide good indication on Wube's people ability to acknowledge feedback and the habits of trying to improve on it and context on how to interpret the rules :).

If it was just me i would just add "please read this or be ignored", but that wouldn't have prevented my previous toxic behavior.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Topic cleanup...
caiotoon wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:34 pm
I dont think the clarity is a problem, the post is quite clear and English wasn’t a problem for me at all. I’m a non native English speaker myself. I understand if you say it’s a cultural thing, and that doesn’t sound rude in the authors original language, but my only point is that it feels a bit discouraging and reduces inclusion.

So far, it doesn’t seem like the community agree with me.
It criticizes the post (but not the person who wrote it), and it acknowledges maturely that opinions could differ on the matter. It also acknowledges that the community doesn't appear to agree, and refrains from any negativity about that fact.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I've got new title! "Read this OR Santa Claus will die"
Not too toxic? :roll:

caiotoon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by caiotoon »

Folks, thanks for the discussions above, and although it might be relevant, I would rather keep this thread focused on the contents of the original post: of whether the "welcome" post is promoting toxicity or not.

Thank you for the folks that tried to articulate better what I meant by personal attack.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”