Fast entity transfer/split also works for items linked on toolbar

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Fast entity transfer/split also works for items linked on toolbar

Post by jodokus31 »

TL;DR
Fast entity transfer/split also works for items linked on toolbar. Currently, nothing happens.
What ?
When I open an inventory and Ctrl-LClick / Ctrl-RClick / Shift-LClick / Shift-RClick on an item linked in toolbar, it should transfer the item according to rules (all, half, full stack, half-stack) to the inventory (similar to items directly clicked in the players inventory)

f.e. in the picture, I want to Shift-Left Mouseclick on the iron on toolbar to transfer it into the chest:
fast_entity_transfer_from_toolbar.png
fast_entity_transfer_from_toolbar.png (359.11 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Why ?
I often open an inventory f.e. a chest or machine and want to transfer the item linked in toolbar f.e. coal, iron into the chest or machine. But nothing happens
Of course, I can also click the item on toolbar and transfer it from the players hand, but sometimes, its easier to open the machine first, when you want to transfer more than one item type. The advantage is then, that I don't have to search commonly used items in the inventory (unless I filter them separately in the players inventory).
This also works for building items, f.e. if you want to place a chest full of building ingredients for bots. It's easier to move those items from toolbar, than search every item in inventory.
Last edited by jodokus31 on Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fast entity transfer/split also works for items linked on toolbar

Post by ssilk »

Hm. This is similar to the idea, that if there is no beer in your refrigerator and you click on a button, then beer will be delivered. :D

Maybe it works for some people; I think very few people would understand that.

It’s not intuitive to make it so. It would make sense to have a keyboard shortcut for that, but how to select the shortcut item by keyboard? (*) And without that I don’t see the difference if I move the mouse to the item directly or to the shortcut item, it must be moved either. So the intuitive way is alway the item directly.

(*) select shortcut row: some modifier (alt-ctrl?) plus number. Selecting the column is of course a number key. And the the command you want to make.
I think mouse is faster.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:39 am
Hm. This is similar to the idea, that if there is no beer in your refrigerator and you click on a button, then beer will be delivered. :D

Maybe it works for some people; I think very few people would understand that.

It’s not intuitive to make it so. It would make sense to have a keyboard shortcut for that, but how to select the shortcut item by keyboard? (*) And without that I don’t see the difference if I move the mouse to the item directly or to the shortcut item, it must be moved either. So the intuitive way is alway the item directly.

(*) select shortcut row: some modifier (alt-ctrl?) plus number. Selecting the column is of course a number key. And the the command you want to make.
I think mouse is faster.
I have a hard time to understand, so I would guess, my proposal wasn't clear enough...

I updated my OP proposal to be more clear, what I have in mind, including some paint work in the picture.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I indeed misunderstood it. and the comparison with the button on the fridge was really bad. :oops:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

I have wanted this behavior in the past.

I also want "Q" when hovering the hotbar to put the item on the cursor.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

sparr wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 pm

I think the latter is something, which will come sooner or later. IIRC the devs said something like that somewhere, probably a FFF
ssilk wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:52 am
I indeed misunderstood it. and the comparison with the button on the fridge was really bad. :oops:
Good, np, I was a bit confused :D

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:39 pm
sparr wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 pm

I think the latter is something, which will come sooner or later. IIRC the devs said something like that somewhere, probably a FFF
Indeed it has been announced for 1.2. For the time being, the mod “Slightly smarter pipette” does the job wonderfully.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'm all for the quickbar shortcuts behaving the same way as the actuel items in the inventory from an interface. Also in favor of a "pipette everything", albeit I do realize this is off topic :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”