"Cancel" button on map download + catching up dialogs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

"Cancel" button on map download + catching up dialogs

Post by JasonC »

When joining a multiplayer game, it would be nice if there were a "cancel" button on both the "downloading map" and "catching up" progress dialogs, so you don't have to force terminate the process if a map is unreasonably huge or catching up isn't working out for you.

Not much more to say about that, heh.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: "Cancel" button on map download + catching up dialogs

Post by ptx0 »

JasonC wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:05 pm
When joining a multiplayer game, it would be nice if there were a "cancel" button on both the "downloading map" and "catching up" progress dialogs, so you don't have to force terminate the process if a map is unreasonably huge or catching up isn't working out for you.

Not much more to say about that, heh.
does hitting escape cancel it? haven't tried but feels like it should

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: "Cancel" button on map download + catching up dialogs

Post by JasonC »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:57 pm
does hitting escape cancel it? haven't tried but feels like it should
Omgomgomg!

Excitement.....
Testing.....
ESC cancels "connecting"? Yup. Sweet.
ESC cancels "downloading"? Holy crap, yup.
ESC cancels "catching up"? Yu... well, it tries to.

So first of all: Oh wow thank you so much for pointing that out. A visible cancel button would still be nice, then, but isn't really needed. Sweet.

Secondly: Looks like a potential bug, maybe: When "ESC" is pressed during "catching up", it brings up the game menu. If "quit game" is selected, it hangs Factorio. Eventually the game quits, I think maybe after "catching up" finishes anyways? But while it's hung like this, the menu stays on screen and can't be exited or interacted with.

I'll file a bug report. (Edit: it's here, and turns out it hangs if ESC is pressed during "loading multiplayer map", as well)

But yeah no need for cancel buttons really except as UI candy. I mean, a button or even a little text that said "press ESC to cancel" would've been helpful in that I didn't realize ESC cancelled, but at least it's possible.

Thanks again!
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”