Train stop colour on map to indicate train on the way

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Train stop colour on map to indicate train on the way

Post by Roxor128 »

TL;DR
Show train stops on the map in a different colour when their limit is hit based on why that limit was hit.
What ?
When a train stop's limit is hit, it always appears blue on the map. This lets you distinguish between which are full and which aren't. I propose adding additional colours to indicate why it's gotten filled.

Currently we have:
White: Enabled, limit not reached.
Red: Disabled outright, will be skipped.
Blue: Limit filled, trains will wait until it becomes available before leaving current station.

Suggested changes:
White: Same as now.
Red: Same as now.
Blue: Limit filled, train stopped.
Green: Limit filled, train on the way.
Orange: Limit set to zero by circuit network.
Magenta: Limit set to zero manually.

Less definite suggestion (if only because I have only used limits of 1): For limits greater than 1, maybe combine White, Blue and Green to reflect the current status. Maybe in stripes on the station's circle and name? That seems less error-prone than actually mixing the colours. If you had a limit of 3 and one train stopped and one on the way, then the circle and name would show up in stripes of blue, green and white.
Why ?
The colour change to indicate whether the station is filled is all well and good, but becomes less useful in its current form when you start disabling stations by setting limits via the circuit network, as you end up with lots of stations showing up in blue, and it's hard to tell which ones are disabled because of the circuit network and which by train activity, especially if the train activity in question is because one has just departed for that station. With more colours to indicate why the limit has been hit, we could tell at a glance why a station is inactive, without having to click on it and see if any trains stopping there are in motion or zoom in and mouse over combinators to see what they're outputting.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train stop colour on map to indicate train on the way

Post by aka13 »

+1
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train stop colour on map to indicate train on the way

Post by Amarula »

Useful! Hmm I wonder if a mod could do something like this and provide even more player customization options.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”